ADVERTISEMENT

New NET Ranking #93

Cock-a-Doo

Dec 8, 2009
I thought we might see a little better bump than that.
Silver lining is Clemson dropped to #94.

Still a very long road to go but we had to win yesterday and did so I guess just keep riding this wave. Win out plus a split against AL/Aub and maybe a few tourney wins and I guess you never know

Yeah we were, not sure why a quad 1 win didn’t move us move more.
Maybe there is less movement the further you get into the season but I checked again this AM and we are for sure #93

Yeah net rankings are a joke. I don't see how getting a quad 1 win has relatively no change for us and I believe LSU didn't fall either despite us being a quad 2 loss for them and they have a a fully healthy team too. I anticipated at least a 10-15 point jump in our favor.

Also the Clemson bit makes no sense. We have more Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins, our Quad 3 records are the same and Clemson has a Quad 4 loss and we don't. How is that they are only one team behind us with a much worse record.

I was under the impression the NET was more more objective of a “just the facts” system but you’re right in that something seems pretty amiss still about how it works

NET is highly tilted by Offensive Efficiency. It is equivalent to having a high yards per play in football being used to decide a team’s ranking. Just keep winning.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
I looked up our offensive efficiency and it is horrible…
#268 nationally, last place in the SEC (UGA at #214 is the next lowest)
Clemson is #59, so I guess that’s a big part of where the similar NET ranking is coming from.

I looked up our offensive efficiency and it is horrible…
#268 nationally, last place in the SEC (UGA at #214 is the next lowest)
Clemson is #59, so I guess that’s a big part of where the similar NET ranking is coming from.

I doubt that's it, considering the defensive efficiency is just as important and Clemson is pretty poor in that as well. The only metric that could make sense is the scoring margin since we have lost by 10+ in multiple games. But even then that shouldn't overtake the fact that we have a better win percentage, more wins on the road, more wins against better teams and less bad losses. The NET ranking is flawed if we're considered to be basically the same at this point in the season.

I doubt that's it, considering the defensive efficiency is just as important and Clemson is pretty poor in that as well. The only metric that could make sense is the scoring margin since we have lost by 10+ in multiple games. But even then that shouldn't overtake the fact that we have a better win percentage, more wins on the road, more wins against better teams and less bad losses. The NET ranking is flawed if we're considered to be basically the same at this point in the season.

Based on my amateur interpretation of the explanation you posted, defensive efficiency is NOT "just as important" - they show "Net Efficiency" as being the 2nd-most important valuation, and by the image you posted above, Net Efficiency is derived by SUBTRACTING Defensive Efficiency from the equation, giving you a net efficiency that involves JUST Offensive Efficiency.

Nowhere else in the above explanation does defense pop up again - the only direct references made to offense and/or defense is in the #2 factor. Of course, strong defense plays a role in "game results" and in winning percentage, but strong offense does there just as much.

Looks like the NET explanation here involves 3 of the 4 elements that involve offense and defense 50-50, then the 4th element totally takes defense out of the equation. That places the defensive aspect of winning games outside the room, looking through a window to see inside. Frank Martin is all about defensive efficiency......

NET ranking is a joke. All we hear about is the importance of a Quad one victory and we get one and move up one whole spot.

Things NET doesn’t and will never account for:

1. We played that Clemson game extremely short handed.
2. Bryant was suspended early on.
3. Couisnard played a large part of this season hurt.
4. Now that we are closer to full strength we are playing much better basketball.

If this team gets to 20 wins and a top 5 finish in the league (which it very well could) I’d be pretty ticked if we’re not in the dance.

NET ranking is a joke. All we hear about is the importance of a Quad one victory and we get one and move up one whole spot.

4. Now that we are closer to full strength we are playing much better basketball.

If this team gets to 20 wins and a top 5 finish in the league (which it very well could) I’d be pretty ticked if we’re not in the dance.
Just look at Syracuse who always seems to get a bid if they are even close to .500. They are 0-7 in quad one games, have lost 12 games, and are about 10 spots better than us in the NET.

Agreed. Which makes it all the more frustrating that our coach and AD didn't appear to be thinking of those considerations when they played that Clemson game. Those early season "throw away" games come back to haunt us quite often.

Agreed. Which makes it all the more frustrating that our coach and AD didn't appear to be thinking of those considerations when they played that Clemson game. Those early season "throw away" games come back to haunt us quite often.
The alternative was to forfeit that game, Clemson wasn't going to reschedule because it didn't benefit them. If we do get in a position for the bubble, that game would have an asterisk by it due to the lack of personnel we had.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
At this point the two most important things we should be looking at is winning games and have Vanderbilt win games. Vandy is on the borderline of being a quad 1 win and they play a couple of teams that's near us in the SEC standings. If we both do our parts we could be looking at as many as 5 quad 1 wins but first we got to get a win tonight.

The first 2 wins of our current 4-win streak were against opponents UGA and Ole Miss who both have worse NET ratings than we have. I'm sure if anything our rating should have dropped after beating them. Then we beat a very strong NET team in LSU, and saw minimal improvement. Now beating Miss State which was a Quad 2 NET (a home game vs a 31-75 NET opponent - Miss State is ranked 46th in NET) should help our NET bump up another spot or two.

South Carolina is currently 6-8 against Q1 and Q2 opponents - we are 10-2 against Q3 and Q4 opponents. Alabama on their floor will be a tough game for sure. I see us going 1-2 over the final 3 games, with the win against Missouri. That would place us at 17-12 (9-9), and needing 1-2 wins in the SECT to boost our position for the NCAAT. I'm seeing a NIT bid as more likely. I hope I am very wrong....

The first 2 wins of our current 4-win streak were against opponents UGA and Ole Miss who both have worse NET ratings than we have. I'm sure if anything our rating should have dropped after beating them. Then we beat a very strong NET team in LSU, and saw minimal improvement. Now beating Miss State which was a Quad 2 NET (a home game vs a 31-75 NET opponent - Miss State is ranked 46th in NET) should help our NET bump up another spot or two.

South Carolina is currently 6-8 against Q1 and Q2 opponents - we are 10-2 against Q3 and Q4 opponents. Alabama on their floor will be a tough game for sure. I see us going 1-2 over the final 3 games, with the win against Missouri. That would place us at 17-12 (9-9), and needing 1-2 wins in the SECT to boost our position for the NCAAT. I'm seeing a NIT bid as more likely. I hope I am very wrong....
I think it’ll be interesting if we finish ahead of Alabama and LSU. Most people have them as definitely in. If we finish ahead of both with wins over them late in the season I think it would be hard to keep us out. We beat Alabama Saturday and we’re in 5th and a game up with just a few left.

I think we’ve got to go 2-1 or 3-0 over the last 3 to have any shot…but it’s still a shot.

Reactions: Gamekem
Winning by 10 points means we maxed out the value on the point differential of the win, so we could see a more positive impact of our net ranking than last time.
The most important game for us left is the Missouri game. Lose that game and any chance of the big tournament is gone. Keep winning and root for the team's we beat to continue to win. I think Vandy moving up to a Quad 1 win will help a lot .

Actually just realized Vandy moving up to 75 would add to our Quad 2 as well because our home win moves up from Quad 3 to Quad 2 as well.

Last edited:
Funny how we picked up one spot beating LSU but dropped back a spot over the following days, so ZERO net gain from beating LSU (????)
Good to get the boost today. At this point really have to win 2 of 3 and then I would think 2 in the tourney if we’re talking making the big dance

Funny how we picked up one spot beating LSU but dropped back a spot over the following days, so ZERO net gain from beating LSU (????)
Good to get the boost today. At this point really have to win 2 of 3 and then I would think 2 in the tourney if we’re talking making the big dance
Yeah that part is complete BS. Beat a highly ranked team and being near 100 we couldn’t leap anyone. Realistically we will be lucky to win all 3 and be in the 60s in NET. They need to scrap this immediately.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
We're playing at a much higher level than our NET ranking right now. Unfortunately, the weight of the Princeton and Coastal Carolina losses are just too much to overcome. A win in either one of those two games makes our resume much stronger.

We've been in a similar predicament it seems like every year. Player turnover seems to always leads to a couple of inexplicable early losses.

In a covid year. It needs to be more about the conference play. But everyone is playing by the same rules. So. It is what it is.

Dropped another phantom spot last week same as we did earlier in the week, #88

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT