ADVERTISEMENT

OT What security system/company do you have for your home?

A couple weapons and a retired neighbor who is nosier than Gladys Kravitz. He knows what everybody's doing and who they're doing it to.

If a crook comes to my neighborhood, the cops will know who he is, what he took, what he was driving and where he went before he gets there.

My advice, get you a nosy retired neighbor. They can be a pain in the ass, but they like to keep an eye on things.

Real life example to prove a point:

I had a Doberman. Female. (no matter) At about the 1 1/2 yr stage of her life, there was an incident....... I was at the computer on a ground level apartment. A stranger approached the sliding glass door and right about the time he got his hand on the handle the dog appeared almost out of nowhere. Somehow, she knew I was worried.

It was the first time I ever saw that dog pissed off. Believe me when I say this and read this carefully > If he had opened that door, there was nothing, NOTHING I could do, nor would do to stop the carnage. My knees were shaking and I'm 6 ft and weighed 200. Pass. No thank you. She would have killed him. Zero doubts.

Turns out he had the wrong apartment. Fast forward a few years:

I lived in a sketchy neighborhood and I was warned there had been some break-ins. I got on google and found a picture of one of those elite k-9 trainers that train dobermans and german sheppards in police work. It was a picture of the dog literally hanging on one of the "bite" arm pads they wear during training.

I had that photo blown up and underneath the photo were these words > WARNING: Attack dog lives here. If you open the door, there is nothing I can do to stop it. < (English and spanish)

While I lived there, BOTH of my neighbors on either side were broken into. One of them 3 times.

I left for work with the doors unlocked and often slept through the night that way too.

Doberman > There is no substitute.
And then....

My dad and his buddy used to buy/trade guns at the local gun shows.
They had a heavy duty secured trailer for transport.
Inside they had a big bad trained Doberman for security.
One time after a show they stopped at a waffle house for coffee.
When they got back to the trailer all the guns were gone and the dog was knocked out. They stunned gunned it,then knocked it in the head with a pipe.
All within 20 minutes.

You people are doing it all wrong.

At my house, it's just me and my trusty old Red Ryder carbine-action, 200-shot, range model air rifle. Lucky I got a compass in the stock.

Red-Ryder-BB-Gun-Christmas-Tradition-Blog.jpg

Per our HOA, the only house in our neighborhood that has suffered an evening or nighttime burglary attempt was one in which there was suspected drug use by one of the occupants, who had a bad habit of owing money to his supplier.
That sounds exactly like a vicious rumor or a lie. I have to believe that your HOA is lying. Offering credit is not a common benefit often extended by successful drug dealers. Typically, it's more of a 'Cash & Carry' type of enterprise. And it happening more than once (you commented that your friend had a 'bad habit' of owing money to his supplier) well, I'll just shake my head. I guess you can find poor business practices and liars in any endeavor. I always feel heartsick when I realize someone is lying. Perhaps the Perp would benefit from attending some classes at Darla Moore.

Last edited:
I've had folks ring my doorbell offering to rake my leaves but had no rake.

Love your story.

When I lived in Charlotte, (Meyers Park) had two early 20's fellows stop by asking if I wanted my house painted. I lived in an all brick house but, as luck would have it, I had planned on changing the color of the rain gutters and two side doors so, I already had the paint and brushes. We agreed on two coats and a price. After, they finished the first coat on the gutters and downspouts, they went to lunch so, the paint would have time to dry before applying the second coat and doing the doors.

They did a fantastic job, no spills, runs or paint on the brick. In fact, I never ended up putting on a second coat since it wasn't needed. But, I feel absolutely terrible, they never came back to get paid.

Love your story.

When I lived in Charlotte, (Meyers Park) had two early 20's fellows stop by asking if I wanted my house painted. I lived in an all brick house but, as luck would have it, I had planned on changing the color of the rain gutters and two side doors so, I already had the paint and brushes. We agreed on two coats and a price. After, they finished the first coat on the gutters and downspouts, they went to lunch so, the paint would have time to dry before applying the second coat and doing the doors.

They did a fantastic job, no spills, runs or paint on the brick. In fact, I never ended up putting on a second coat since it wasn't needed. But, I feel absolutely terrible, they never came back to get paid.
Probably got locked up. You know how those painter types can be.

Reactions: Carolina Cocktail
That sounds exactly like a vicious rumor or a lie. I have to believe that your HOA is lying. Offering credit is not a common benefit often extended by successful drug dealers. Typically, it's more of a 'Cash & Carry' type of enterprise. And it happening more than once (you commented that your friend had a 'bad habit' of owing money to his supplier) well, I'll just shake my head. I guess you can find poor business practices and liars in any endeavor. I always feel heartsick when I realize someone is lying. Perhaps the Perp would benefit from attending some classes at Darla Moore.
Not true. I've known a few people that could get fronted cocaine and then pay it off. Drug dealers often give drugs on credit as long as they feel the person has the means to somehow pay it back. The same way gangsters loan money. Once in a dealer's debt, you'll resort to all kinds of things to get out, even doing their work for them and taking the risk. The dealer starts adding up interest on the loan until you pay it (or work it) off. It's free money to them.

Now, when you're a known deadbeat, then it's no sale.

Best combo to have is an alarm system to awake you and deter, have an NRA sticker on back and front doors, and have ya a good shotgun. We all want to act like Billy Badasses on a computer, but when the shit gets real all you have to do is cock a shotgun and if thats not enough just blast in the general direction of the intruder....your welcome

Incorrect. Drug debt, especially with low level and mid level drug dealers is a major source of violence. A dealer, in many cases, wants that user to owe him a certain amount because it promotes and ensures a lot of control over the user. They are also almost always owing each other, or someone else cash money.

not only did our HOA tell me that, we had a local law enforcement officer speak at a meeting and tell us the same thing and how it works. He stressed that drug and drug related crimes are the common trait they see in a majority of their home burglary situations, especially at night in an occupied home.

don’t do drugs or be involved in it at all and your chances of a burglary while you are at home decline tremendously.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-aug-18-me-6570-story.html

Last edited:
Reactions: TheReelEss
Best combo to have is an alarm system to awake you and deter, have an NRA sticker on back and front doors, and have ya a good shotgun. We all want to act like Billy Badasses on a computer, but when the shit gets real all you have to do is cock a shotgun and if thats not enough just blast in the general direction of the intruder....your welcome
I have all the firearms I'd ever need, including the aforementioned shotgun. I'm less concerned about a hoe invasion. When that happens around this town, it's almost always because the homeowner (or renter) is a drug dealer and everyone knows they have a lot of cash.

I'm more concerned with someone breaking in when we're not home. In that case, no firearm in the world would stop them and they'll actually leave with my arsenal if they find it. So I guess the video system is the way to go. The cops probably wouldn't get here in time to prevent anything, but at least I'd have video.

I've known a few people that could get fronted cocaine and then pay it off. Drug dealers often give drugs on credit as long as they feel the person has the means to somehow pay it back. The same way gangsters loan money. Once in a dealer's debt, you'll resort to all kinds of things to get out, even doing their work for them and taking the risk. The dealer starts adding up interest on the loan until you pay it (or work it) off. It's free money to them.

WOW! Sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about dealing illegal drugs. Are most of your friends and family in the drug rackets? You must have balls of steel.
Actually, I was just trying to politely call another poster a liar.

I have all the firearms I'd ever need, including the aforementioned shotgun. .

WOW! Sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about dealing illegal drugs. Are most of your friends and family in the drug rackets? You must have balls of steel.

Well, you didn't have to mock me twice. LOL. I knew shadier people in my misspent young adulthood. I still know those people but most cleaned up their acts. Have a good one.

Reactions: Carolina Cocktail
My sweet dog is all I need. I think she could take down a grizzly. Hope she never challenges me. Pity the poor fool who tries to burgle our home.

The majority of home break-ins occur between 10 am and 3 pm, when most people are gone from home. Like many others, I have a gun for home/self-defense, but shooting a home intruder in the middle of the night is mostly the stuff of movies. A gun at home ain't gonna do no good when you're not at home. The reality is, you really don't have to worry much about break-ins at night. You could probably sleep with your doors unlocked. The last thing a common thief wants is to encounter anyone.

This is where a lot of devices like the Ring camera come into play.

We're trying to decide and don't have all the info we need to decide on a company. What are pros and cons? Thanks.
I recommend not paying for one. They are all rip offs that provide virtually no additional safety or portection, sign you up for contracts that are tough to break, have equipment that constantly needs maintenance and call you all the time to bug you about a “fault” or a “signal loss”- and the only ways they get us to sign up for them is by praying in our fears. By the time the alarm company alerts you to a problem and you tell them to send the police- your house is already damaged/robbed and whomever did it has fled the scene. Get a dog, and a ring doorbell if you need “something to make the wife feel safe”.

I recommend not paying for one. They are all rip offs that provide virtually no additional safety or portection, sign you up for contracts that are tough to break, have equipment that constantly needs maintenance and call you all the time to bug you about a “fault” or a “signal loss”- and the only ways they get us to sign up for them is by praying in our fears. By the time the alarm company alerts you to a problem and you tell them to send the police- your house is already damaged/robbed and whomever did it has fled the scene. Get a dog, and a ring doorbell if you need “something to make the wife feel safe”.

For sure, I would never go for one of the big name security companies. They have been exposed as scams for all the reasons you mention. There are a number of companies out there on the market now, like Simplisafe, that are quite legit.

Love your story.

Did you really live in that area or just misspell Myers Park???

Live in Erwin TN in a mountain town with almost zero crime. Still leave my doors unlocked...my elderly neighbors watch my street like a hawk. Knock on wood, if an intruder does come in, the gun is waiting.
We have good neighbors as well. But they've told us someone has come onto our porch and looked in the front windows in broad daylight. The description was of someone we don't know. I live about a 1/8 mile away from the local mill hill full of cheap rentals and there's a never-ending stream of sketchy people that walk past our house toward downtown.

Live in a low crime area? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Property crimes in the state of SC are 29.4 for every 1000 and violent crimes are 5.11 per 1000 people. I figure the small beach community I live in has a very low crime rate so a camera and a shotgun is good enough. I hardly ever lock my doors.

Live in a low crime area? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Property crimes in the state of SC are 29.4 for every 1000 and violent crimes are 5.11 per 1000 people. I figure the small beach community I live in has a very low crime rate so a camera and a shotgun is good enough. I hardly ever lock my doors.
I wouldn't count on it staying that way. I used to feel the same way. The state is changing fast.

Ring cameras and a dog that sounds much bigger than he is. If that's not enough of a deterrent (being on camera and having to fight a dog), then they're coming for more than a few valuables. The chances of something nuts like someone seeking to do extreme violence to my family are almost non-existent though (unless there are clemson fans that hear me on my back porch), so it's not really a consideration when I think of home security.

We're trying to decide and don't have all the info we need to decide on a company. What are pros and cons? Thanks.
If you live in Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Florence areas, ADS Security receives top ratings for their monitoring center and maintenance repair. Worked for them before retiring. Very good company and good people.

A couple .45s, shotguns( and others I won't name here) and a wife with a twitchy trigger finger and a bad attitude.

I had my lake house broken into on two occasions over 12 years ago. (Unfortunately, it is a little too close to Clemson). I bought two ADT signs online for about $35 each. Put one in front and one in back. Never a problem again.

I recently added a ring doorbell. which seems to work great so far.

We have good neighbors as well. But they've told us someone has come onto our porch and looked in the front windows in broad daylight. The description was of someone we don't know. I live about a 1/8 mile away from the local mill hill full of cheap rentals and there's a never-ending stream of sketchy people that walk past our house toward downtown.
The difference is, Erwin TN is still very traditional southern mountain town, everyone looks after one another...it does get a little scetchy in the northern part of Unicoi County that turns into the Johnson City limits where there are a lot of rentals, mobile homes, etc....but thats 10 peaceful miles up road from Erwin....

Charlie Brown Security is at my house. 75 lb. pit bull terrier backed up with plenty of lead.

When I put my laser sight on you though, watch out for the cat!

My daytime security comes from my 3 neighbors who are all retired and watch everything like a hawk.

I have an ADS system and mainly I am concerned more about fire than breakins. So it will call the fire department which is five minutes away if the smoke alarm goes off. Has happened once so far in 20 years.
Fifty bucks a month. Not much and the insurance company gives me a discount for it.

A large barking dog is the best security. (Just ask my Pitbull and Black Lab). They are very protective and I encourage them to bark when answering the door. I also make them known when vendors come to provide service.

Ring type video camera’s are good. It’s best to accompany these with motion censored lights. Mine are set to light up like Christmas at all the corners of my house and the entrances.

I have neighbors that have had some problems. We have been fortunate to escape issues. Being proactive is helpful.

Having my 9mm, AR and short shotgun handy provides that last layer of security.

Best of luck in figuring out what works for you!

Reactions: vacock#
Having security systems nowadays is a wise idea. You never knew, what can happen, and what people pass near your house. It was exactly a year ago when two men broke into my house and stole everything precious. Because of cases like this, I decided to install security cameras and alarm monitoring from megasystemssecurity.com. We chose them because they also established the security system in my husband's firm. They are very professional and always give an affordable price. I like their service, and it makes me feel unworried. Next week, I am installing this and at my parents' house.

Last edited:
Ring cameras - internet monitoring $9 per month for multiple cameras - they have wireless and wired and it records unbelievable video - just make sure you complete the double authentication or they can be hacked
Eufy has no monthly charge. Works great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT