ADVERTISEMENT

Richt with press conference with AD.

Garnet chicken

Jan 1, 2004
Talked alot and emphasized his faith alot and said he would go in the direction guided and was open to talk about new coaching opportunities.

Would be a huge, huge mistake.

The guy is a Georgia guy who is 55 years old. After a year at USC, he will be facing the "how much longer are you going to coach" questions from media- and on the recruiting trail.

Plus, Mark Richt is EXTREMELY LAID BACK in his approach to almost everything. The last thing USC needs right now is a coach that APPEARS to be laid back and passive.

At UGA, he had the University of Georgia to use to recruit players - and he was close to Atlanta. He won't be the UGA coach at South Carolina. He'll be a laid back, passive type personality coach that is trying to recruit against Georgia, Clemson, Florida.. etc.

Would be an awful move and a move I am confident we will not pursue.

Richt has been paid tens of millions of dollars at UGA. He wants to go into Mission work, primarily in South America. There's no real motivation with him. We need somebody dedicated to creating his legacy at SC.

Would be a huge, huge mistake.

The guy is a Georgia guy who is 55 years old. After a year at USC, he will be facing the "how much longer are you going to coach" questions from media- and on the recruiting trail.

Plus, Mark Richt is EXTREMELY LAID BACK in his approach to almost everything. The last thing USC needs right now is a coach that APPEARS to be laid back and passive.

At UGA, he had the University of Georgia to use to recruit players - and he was close to Atlanta. He won't be the UGA coach at South Carolina. He'll be a laid back, passive type personality coach that is trying to recruit against Georgia, Clemson, Florida.. etc.

Would be an awful move and a move I am confident we will not pursue.

A Georgia guy? Why would he be a Georgia guy given they fired him with a winning percentage of over 70%?

He is 55 so I doubt the "how much longer are you going to coach" question would be logical! I would say the easy answer is "well Spurrier coached till he was 70".....

He is a class act, has SEC experience, can buy us time bringing in a OC and DC and staff that hopefully we can pull from to find our next HC without taking a chance on some of these other unknowns that are out there!

Richt has been paid tens of millions of dollars at UGA. He wants to go into Mission work, primarily in South America. There's no real motivation with him. We need somebody dedicated to creating his legacy at SC.

There are a lot of lost souls in the areas surrounding his alma mater, perhaps he can kill two ibises with one stone. Much shorter flights to the Amazon for international outreach work from Miami too.

Also mentioned that if not a HC, he would be interested in a position as a coordinator or a QB coach

Also mentioned that if not a HC, he would be interested in a position as a coordinator or a QB coach
He wants to be a real coach again. Head coaches mainly oversee. Just think how much fun that would be for him and without anything approaching the pressure he has been under. He could do it left-handed and still be great at it.

That's interesting. It's just not the way that it seems to be done, but if I were happier coming up with "ball plays" and making game plans, I'd have no hesitation with going back to OC if the head coach were comfortable with that kind of situation.

If it is a place the wifey and I enjoy living, let the good times roll.

That said he could be very successful as a head guy, even at Carolina. But he has to get the coordinators and assistants right. No room for error, and if you do need to make a change it takes a certain dispassionate ruthlessness to make a change. Canning someone doesn't have anything at all to do with whether you like them, they've been good people (though being bad can mean making a change), whether they have a wife and children...

It's whether what is being done on the field is working. Not sure he can do that.

Richt and his wife are very involved in their local Baptist church in Athens. From what I understand his kids live there, and he has a new grandchild that lives in Athens.

I don't really see him moving away from all of that at 55 years old.

He's been mashed over the choices he's made over the years at OC and DC.

He is a class act, has SEC experience, can buy us time bringing in a OC and DC and staff that hopefully we can pull from to find our next HC without taking a chance on some of these other unknowns that are out there!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT