ADVERTISEMENT

SC football -

usc5930

Jan 23, 2019
UGA - 1980 NC and potential NC on Monday

Clemson - 1981 NC and recent success (NC-2)

SC in all that time and since - no changes whatsoever 🏈🏆

I think I get where you're coming from, but it seems like your post insinuates Carolina football was on the same level as UGA and CU before the early 80s. While Georgia doesn't have the championships, they're a clear upper echelon college football program and always have been. They're 11th all time in wins. Clemson before the last decade was a clear step down from Georgia, but they're 14th all time in wins.

Carolina? We're 55th in all time wins.

Carolina is 19-53-2 against Georgia all time. Carolina is 42-72-4 against Clemson all time.

Georgia is 14th in all-time NFL draft picks. Clemson is 28th. Carolina? We're 41st.

It's not like UGA winning Monday is going to change anything for us. They've been recruiting and winning at a level much higher than Carolina forever. And even though Clemson is only now getting to Georgia's level at a national perception, they've been beating us quite frequently our entire history.

SC in all that time and since - no changes whatsoever 🏈

branch-pessimistic-troll_58137e1722b47-p.gif

I think I get where you're coming from, but it seems like your post insinuates Carolina football was on the same level as UGA and CU before the early 80s. While Georgia doesn't have the championships, they're a clear upper echelon college football program and always have been. They're 11th all time in wins. Clemson before the last decade was a clear step down from Georgia, but they're 14th all time in wins.

Carolina? We're 55th in all time wins.

Carolina is 19-53-2 against Georgia all time. Carolina is 42-72-4 against Clemson all time.

Georgia is 14th in all-time NFL draft picks. Clemson is 28th. Carolina? We're 41st.

It's not like UGA winning Monday is going to change anything for us. They've been recruiting and winning at a level much higher than Carolina forever. And even though Clemson is only now getting to Georgia's level at a national perception, they've been beating us quite frequently our

Change = NC 🏆
Since 1980 (41 years, not including 2022 CFP), 20 different schools have been recognized as champions or co-champions. And, some of those schools (e.g., Colorado, Florida State Georgia Tech, Nebraska) have struggled to maintain their success.

If change equals national championships, very few schools will change. What characteristics do national championship programs--those that achieve and maintain success--possess? Can South Carolina acquire these attributes?

Last edited:

Assuming you’re not trolling, to be completely fair some of our best teams in school history (84 and 87) occurred not long after these titles. So you could argue some positive change obviously occurred.

Please define change and describe changes that SC should have implemented.
We probably should've joined a major conference, got our athletic department out of debt, upgraded our facilities to recruit against the big boys, hired some known winners and at least win a damn bowl game.

Oh wait, we did all that. One bad hire and everyone forgets how far we've come. Realistically with obsolete facilities and no money, we've really only been set up well since '08, so trust in Beamer unless/until he shows you shouldn't then trust in the next guy. We're in a better place ('08 on) in what you need fundamentally to put together a winning program than we've been at any point since we left the ACC. One bad coach and the pain that follows doesn't change the fact that we at least got what we need to compete with the right coach, that hasn't always been true.

Reactions: SC 95
I think that 1984, 2011, 2012, & 2013 were our chances to win a one off national title which would put us with a Colorado / Georgia Tech type title. Obviously we didn’t do it but for such an average history there has been four seasons we could have gotten in striking distance. Odds are it will never happen but I think Clemsuck & Furman to some degree show it’s not impossible. The current state of college football makes it look nearly impossible but we can always dream.

UGA has the largest recruiting budget. The most money bar none. The culture is there NOW! The same with Bama as long as Nick Saban is there. Fla State didn’t have any history until Bobby Bowden and he created it. The same at Florida with SOS and he spoiled us with the best 3 yrs in school history. Right now? I’m as excited more now than I was then! Coach Shane Beamer is building something special. Will we win a NATY? Let’s beat the beast in the east and make the state rivalry a national viewing. If the taters can keep up with Shane Beamer! Who can’t be thrilled with this HBC?

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
Since 1980 (41 years, not including 2022 CFP), 20 different schools have been recognized as champions or co-champions. And, some of those schools (e.g., Colorado, Florida State Georgia Tech, Nebraska) have struggled to maintain their success.

If change equals national championships, very few schools will change. What characteristics do national championship programs--those that achieve and maintain success--possess? Can South Carolina acquire these attributes?
I think perception goes a long way. SC had some big wins - including big bowl games - during the Spurrier years. I think had he managed to climb the SEC mountain - win the SEC in 2010, for example - the perception of SC would be different. Those Spurrier years would be viewed much differently by everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT