ADVERTISEMENT

Why are we the "Wait until next year" university?

Let me tell you pal I am 77 years old we have always been that way.
I am 78 years old, a loyal Carolina alumnus, and a faithful fan since my older brother graduated in 1947 when I was 6 years old. Our record is there for anyone to see, and it is mostly heartbreak and disappointment. We remain because we love our State, and we love the Gamecocks just like a loyal husband cleaves to a wayward wife. Of course we are fools but we get just enough attention from the woman we desire above all others... an occasional good season or a win over our hated rival... to revive the weak flame as we have nowhere else to go.

Reactions: Patthecat3
The Admin at USC (Board of Trustees included) is NOT serious about football like Clemson and Alabama and Georgia. They just aren't. It's a different mindset that we will never have until we change the Admin and booster culture and hire someone (an AD) that has been there. It helps that we have Muschamp because he has seen what those programs are like, but it doesn't start with the head coach, it ends with him.

There is a reason Clemson's success has come under two coaches that both played at Alabama. Ford and Swinney know what it looks like to win at the major college level and it ain't pretty or for the faint of heart. Danny Ford laid the ground work for what you see now. He put in place the culture of winning at all cost (read it's ok to cheat and it's actually necessary!!!) that came from Bama. That culture starts with the boosters who donate cash money through a network of small business people and that is the underpinnings of recruiting. I lived it and saw it first hand growing up and playing sports in SC. My teammates got cars, etc. when they were in high school and they got handed cash at CU from boosters virtually everyday. The better you were the more you got or had waiting on you in your locker. Boosters were given access to the locker rooms during practice for a reason.

USC does not have the booster culture or the desire to create the win at all costs mentality so it likely will never happen here, it just won't.

There are MANY schools that are like USC and will flirt with success from time to time. What schools come to mind; West Virginia, Ok State, UCLA, Oregon, Virginia Tech, etc., etc. But the schools that top the list of major programs right now have a deep culture of winning whatever the cost. Teams like Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, Florida State, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Ohio State, etc. We are not there and likely never will be other than an occasional brush.
Unfortunately, CU hired the right guy in Dabo and he has put the band back together from the Ford days and they are rolling now. Perhaps they will get caught, but it isn't likely because the NCAA is a toothless tiger that gets fed by Bama, CU, Georgia, etc, in football just like UNC in basketball. They aren't going to do anything substantial even if someone is caught red-handed. College football is a money making machine 2nd only to the NFL so the major actors are going to be protected if need be.

Give credit to Clemson, they caught lightening in a bottle at the right time, but they had the historical culture in place to do it, and we don't and never will. Perhaps that makes us a better institution because we don't do the things I've seen them do first hand, but it is still hard to watch their success and accolades. Especially knowing it is ill gotten gains that will never be revealed as such. So for us, it is Wait Until Next Year and see if we have a brush with success.
I am hoping we have a brush with success next year; if not, wait 'til 2020!

The culture at Clemson is different. From top to bottom, they expect to have a great football program and everybody knows what their job is.

The fans worship the players that are "all-in". That said, there's no way in hell Clemson fans would have supported any player doing what Deebo did here. They would have turned on him in a skinny minute and he would have been outside the circle. Here, most of our fans cared more about Deebo's NFL draft status than they did about winning the bowl game.

Reactions: Patthecat3
Not saying you're wrong. But it amazes me how so many in our fanbase just accept it while we watch Clemson build a national powerhouse. The defeatist attitude is incredibly strong with us.
We Carolina fans are anything but defeatist. We just happen to possess an amazing ability to overlook over a century of athletic mediocrity.

We Carolina fans are anything but defeatist. We just happen to possess an amazing ability to overlook over a century of athletic mediocrity.
We have many fans that use that history of mediocrity to not only insist that we'll never do anything great, but to brow beat those of us that think we can and demand that we try. That is the very definition of being defeatist.

Reactions: uscalumni
We have many fans that use that history of mediocrity to not only insist that we'll never do anything great, but to brow beat those of us that think we can and demand that we try. That is the very definition of being defeatist.
Just as there are many fans who harbor that rare conception that it is the function of a university to educate students. Athletics is only a smaller function of education, or should be. The Ivy League gets it about right.

Just as there are many fans who harbor that rare conception that it is the function of a university to educate students. Athletics is only a smaller function of education, or should be. The Ivy League gets it about right.
What's your point? This is a forum for discussing Gamecock athletics. If you're more concerned with the academics, I'm sure there's another form out there for you.

The point is that one can love and support Gamecock athletics without insisting that winning championships should be the priority above all other considerations. Especially given the fact that some fans persist in spite of the long record that we have in athletic endeavors. I suspect that the most insistent of such fans never darkened the door of a Carolina classroom, much less hold a degree from the school.
Not accusing you of such a shortcoming, but a lot of the communication on this forum does not speak well for the participants' level of education.

Reactions: atl-cock
The point is that one can love and support Gamecock athletics without insisting that winning championships should be the priority above all other considerations. Especially given the fact that some fans persist in spite of the long record that we have in athletic endeavors. I suspect that the most insistent of such fans never darkened the door of a Carolina classroom, much less hold a degree from the school.
Not accusing you of such a shortcoming, but a lot of the communication on this forum does not speak well for the participants' level of education.
If we don't want to win championships, then why bother? Seriously, what is the point? It's not like we're talking cutting out a graduate program to fund football. Football funds itself and all other sports. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

And while I do have my degree from USC, who cares if someone attended USC? Just because someone was better served at another school for their particular major doesn't mean they weren't born and raised diehard Gamecocks.

If we don't want to win championships, then why bother? Seriously, what is the point? It's not like we're talking cutting out a graduate program to fund football. Football funds itself and all other sports. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

And while I do have my degree from USC, who cares if someone attended USC? Just because someone was better served at another school for their particular major doesn't mean they weren't born and raised diehard Gamecocks.
Can't argue with that. If you are doing it you might as well try to win it all.
I don't like the constant badgering the coaches and blaming the players. Seems silly to me, again, taking into consideration our mediocre history. Expectations are o.k., but seems to some overdo it to the extent that it affects the morale and commitment of the athletes. Nuf said.

YCBS! Clemson has nothing but Football?! How about a beautiful campus on a lake in the foothills of the Blue Ridge with the mountains nearby. Excellent academics (Top 20 Public), a rich military tradition, quiet, small town atmosphere experiencing unparalleled growth, close to up and coming Greenville, beautiful women ( Miss Universe, Miss America runner-up ( should have won), higher SAT scores, brand new business school on campus, ICAR, previous governor, two previous senators, highly desirable living costs/ standards of living, low crime, great town and gown relationship, low taxes, great engineering and architecture departments, over the top football program ( 3 Nattys), two soccer Nattys, one golf Natty, great baseball tradition, etc. Owns us in football and baseball and very close in BB. Beautiful on campus stadiums for ALL sports. Clemson's bowl victories are scary great, esp, in comparison. Incredible school spirit and sense of loyalty to the school. Wonderful alumni connections for life.

Loved your 'little higher recruiting ranking'! Look, I pull for both schools and I'm capable of being rational and objective ( Clemson Honors grad and Honor ( fourth in class) USC School of Medicine grad. Wish both schools could be more civil
He tries so hard

Reactions: Legendary Cock
The culture at Clemson is different. From top to bottom, they expect to have a great football program and everybody knows what their job is.

The fans worship the players that are "all-in". That said, there's no way in hell Clemson fans would have supported any player doing what Deebo did here. They would have turned on him in a skinny minute and he would have been outside the circle. Here, most of our fans cared more about Deebo's NFL draft status than they did about winning the bowl game.
Marcus would not have sit out and knowing all the farmers, you are right. Maybe Deebo never had an insurance policy in case of injuries.

Marcus would not have sit out and knowing all the farmers, you are right. Maybe Deebo never had an insurance policy in case of injuries.
T Lawrence just said in an interview that he would never sit out a game, regardless of where or when it was. Said it was a team sport and the team you practiced and played with need you to follow the playbook

Reactions: Zann77
I am 78 years old, a loyal Carolina alumnus, and a faithful fan since my older brother graduated in 1947 when I was 6 years old. Our record is there for anyone to see, and it is mostly heartbreak and disappointment. We remain because we love our State, and we love the Gamecocks just like a loyal husband cleaves to a wayward wife. Of course we are fools but we get just enough attention from the woman we desire above all others... an occasional good season or a win over our hated rival... to revive the weak flame as we have nowhere else to go.

Sound of resignation. The joke is on the fan who does not demand excellence.

"Excellence" is a word so overused by shallow sports fans that it is worthless and trite. Too bad: the word used to have some meaning and usefulness.

Interesting. What is your definition of excellence for this football team. Like to hear your perspective because of shallow fans overusing it. BTW keep traveling.

You guys just haven't been critical enough online yet. Sure, some fans "accept mediocrity" but you "demand more." With your unflinching commitment to complain about anything our athletic department does, surely it can't be long until you've shamed them into their rightful place

That's your definition for excellence? And you bash other fans for how they use it?
I think my slur about "shallow" football fans was out of line and apologize for that.
I admired Spurrier and greatly enjoyed watching his football teams perform on the field. I remember once that he criticized USC fans for applauding a good but losing performance for the team. Thought he was too attached to the win at all costs concept at the time. Also remember that it was said by some sports writer that Spurrier left Florida because the fans wanted too much of the coaches and the team even though he had done so much for the fans. Don't know that he felt that way but if true his comments on Carolina fans seems a contradiction.

I don't know that we would have treated the Debo situation any different if we were in the same position. Outside of 5 or 6 bowls, the current system is pretty pointless. I'd hate for one of our best players, who has already had a serious injury, to jeopardize his NFL draft status by tearing an ACL against a mediocre team in a meaningless bowl game. Thats not a jab at Carolina, it's a jab at the system and what we are asking the kids to do just so the school can make some extra money.

With that being said, if you suit up I'd expect you to play your ass off, and I don't know that a lot of the team did that. I put that on the coaches not managing the situation well though. If you accept the bowl invite, you should have your team ready.

Reactions: Jpcooper
I think my slur about "shallow" football fans was out of line and apologize for that.
I admired Spurrier and greatly enjoyed watching his football teams perform on the field. I remember once that he criticized USC fans for applauding a good but losing performance for the team. Thought he was too attached to the win at all costs concept at the time. Also remember that it was said by some sports writer that Spurrier left Florida because the fans wanted too much of the coaches and the team even though he had done so much for the fans. Don't know that he felt that way but if true his comments on Carolina fans seems a contradiction.
Spurrier was trying to change our culture. He saw how much we were holding ourselves back by being OK with losing. I used to think he had succeeded -- and to a certain extent, he did. But there are still a lot of fans that just willingly re-embraced the "woe is us, we'll never be (insert winning program here)" mentality. I never understood before, and I don't understand it now -- especially now that we'veseen it's possible.

(By the way, Winning at all costs implies cheating. Spurrier has never been named as a cheater. In fact, he would turn in other schools that he thought was cheating because he wanted to play by the rules. Not a bad lesson for the kids, wouldn't you agree?)

As for how he left Florida, the stories I've heard were that he grew tired of fans that were so spoiled by all the winning, they were complaining about only winning by 35 points. He felt there was just nothing more he could do there.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Spurrier was trying to change our culture. He saw how much we were holding ourselves back by being OK with losing. I used to think he had succeeded -- and to a certain extent, he did. But there are still a lot of fans that just willingly re-embraced the "woe is us, we'll never be (insert winning program here)" mentality. I never understood before, and I don't understand it now -- especially now that we'veseen it's possible.

(By the way, Winning at all costs implies cheating. Spurrier has never been named as a cheater. In fact, he would turn in other schools that he thought was cheating because he wanted to play by the rules. Not a bad lesson for the kids, wouldn't you agree?)

As for how he left Florida, the stories I've heard were that he grew tired of fans that were so spoiled by all the winning, they were complaining about only winning by 35 points. He felt there was just nothing more he could do there.
You're right. Spurrier did demonstrate that it is possible. But no other coach has except maybe for Coach Joe. But even in our miracle year of 1984 we crashed and burned a la traditional Carolina teams. Woe is me...a lifelong fan.

Would define excellence for this football team as a sincere and enthusiastic effort.

Ahhh! Sincere effort is good enough? Even if they go 0-12? Makes me feel you really are not concerned about the W-L? Just effort?

Ahhh! Sincere effort is good enough? Even if they go 0-12? Makes me feel you really are not concerned about the W-L? Just effort?
Yeah, I would go for sincerity and enthusiasm every time out. Beats BS about winning and championships which rarely happen anyway. The record is there for all to see. As I have quoted Omar before, "The moving finger writes, and having writ, moves on. Nor all your piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line, nor all your tears wash out a word of it".

Yeah, I would go for sincerity and enthusiasm every time out. Beats BS about winning and championships which rarely happen anyway. The record is there for all to see. As I have quoted Omar before, "The moving finger writes, and having writ, moves on. Nor all your piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line, nor all your tears wash out a word of it".
Sir, I don't say this with malice. But much of what you say personifies the defeatist attitude we discussed earlier.

"We'll never win here" attitude + Never trying or pressuring leadership to try = Never winning here ==> Self-fulfilling Prophecy

Sir, I don't say this with malice. But much of what you say personifies the defeatist attitude we discussed earlier.

"We'll never win here" attitude + Never trying or pressuring leadership to try = Never winning here ==> Self-fulfilling Prophecy

Agreed. I don’t know where this mentality came from but it is commonplace. I sit and look at Clemson, a hole in the road one horse town. We have more financial resources and a bigger alumni base to draw from yet, it just never happens. We have never demanded any level of performance and have always excused poor performances.

Agreed. I don’t know where this mentality came from but it is commonplace. I sit and look at Clemson, a hole in the road one horse town. We have more financial resources and a bigger alumni base to draw from yet, it just never happens. We have never demanded any level of performance and have always excused poor performances.

I too am shaking my head in disbelief. But this is not an isolated view. Take a look at TIF. When you do not ask for excellence you don't get it. The people accountable in USC sports starts with the AD. Then the coaches. One refrain I hear is that the AD is taking a long-term view. Well, isn't that nice? It allows the AD to not be accountable, and for 5-7 years gives these coaches a free pass. Then they (coaches) get replaced in their 7th year, and the AD continues for the next 100 years because the BOT is not willing to make changes. Are we stuck in a pool of mediocrity? We have the resources to change. Do we have the will to change?

One thing that drags us down is the constant, hyperbolic, juvenile suggestions that Clemson's gains are ill-gotten, and similar posts that make us look like jerks! IF Dabo was cheating it would have been exposed a LONG time ago! Let's grow up and concentrate on OUR team.

What big time winning teams have is a stellar coaching team with a stellar coaching philosophy
, something we're still looking for and may never find at our current rate of improvement. Champ is a good guy but not even close to being able to take us to the promised land. It's delusional to think otherwise and it just sets us up for huge disappointments when we never seem to reach our expectations, season after season.

I disagree, blaming it on the BOT, etc. is silly. The money is there. The wrong people are making the decisions about coaches and ADs. RT must go. We need a gangbuster consulting firm that could come in, identify the problems, interview everybody in sight, pick the current winners and losers, etc and make recommendations about how to proceed. It's obvious that we're right now clueless about how to go about this process efficiently and in the best interests of the university and its fans.

Not buying what you are selling. Clemson has been recruiting 5-star players ever since the Cam Newton ruling. Clemson does have businesses and fans who support at any cost. I know many of them. Some are my relatives. You my friend are misinformed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT