ADVERTISEMENT

why sos left

So serious question.. When ARE they gonna take the banner down? It cost money to put up & will likely cost just as much to get it down smh

Reactions: jonesz21
His age hurt his recruiting, same thing happened to Bear Bryant. If it happened to the Bear it can happen to anybody. Bryant also had health issues, which he kept very private.

Opponents use age against older coaches, which seems like dirty recruiting, but I assume there is some truth to it. Many coaches tend to retire in their 60s.

I am 67 myself, so maybe I understand more than I would have as a younger man. Spurrier is really a great coach and man. Perhaps his judgment in this situation was a poor decision, who knows, but his legacy will remain intact.
I remember standing on the porch of our high school gym with our all american running back in the 60's, when Bear Bryant came through the gate to pick him up .

After our 4th or 5th game this year, Ray bragged about what we had accomplished with the lowest recruiting budget in the league.

He doesn't get SEC Football boys and girls.

Spurrier and his boy left us with a bad Southern Conference football team. We don't have Southeastern Conference talent.
I would be surprised if "Ray" referenced a recruiting budget. I heard himmsay a week or so ago that there was no such thing as a recruiting budget, in other words, he implied he nor the university had not limited the $$ spent on recruiting.

Am I the only person in the world that thinks Spurrier may have been asked to leave? Obviously he had lost the team, and some of the players quit in him. Maybe "resigning" wasn't his idea? Maybe Tanner asked Spurrier to step aside, and out of respect for all of Spurrier's accomplishments here, it was announced as a resignation.

Reactions: cocknjax
Am I the only person in the world that thinks Spurrier may have been asked to leave? Obviously he had lost the team, and some of the players quit in him. Maybe "resigning" wasn't his idea? Maybe Tanner asked Spurrier to step aside, and out of respect for all of Spurrier's accomplishments here, it was announced as a resignation.
You could be right, but it's not likely. A coach leaving during the season is extremely disruptive to recruiting. His jumping ship could easily add an extra year (at least) to this program's recovery.

You could be right, but it's not likely. A coach leaving during the season is extremely disruptive to recruiting. His jumping ship could easily add an extra year (at least) to this program's recovery.

I would think that is very likely that Ray Tanner, treated SOS as a professional, and let him know that a change was imminent at seasons end, and /or dictated that certain changes "would be made" at season's end. I think the kind of ghuy SOS seems to be , that didn't sit well. He said forget that , I am out of here now.

Just an opinion and you know what everyone says about an opinion.

Geez! What a witch hunt? I guess you're just pissed and won't stop at just the head coach. If Tanner gets the ax, you going to be after Pastides next?
Why not? What has Pastides done? I acknowledge he seems like a nice guy. Additionally, his support of sports has been public, which is nice if you care only about our athletic programs. But, since he has taken over I have yet to see any improvement in our academic ranking. Meanwhile, the Clemps seem to be doing quite well in football and academic rankings. We're surrounded by state schools that are ranked much higher than us.

It's absurd, especially considering how much more we're paying for tuition and for sports.

Anyone whoever thought Spurrier had ANY chance to turn this is around is flippin idiot. And that is why he quit. He realized he was being an idiot and got out of the way because HE was the dang problem. It was time to move on from Spurrier and every day that was delayed hurts the program. So thank him for putting away his ego and absorbing all the insults and mud slung at him for something to so stupid and trivial.

Last edited:
Ray has a buffer between himself and the harpies on this board---Two National Championships.

Because he said when it started going bad, he would get out right then. I was upset it took him that long. Never should happen in season but after and it should have happened at the end of 13.

Reactions: cemani
I would think that is very likely that Ray Tanner, treated SOS as a professional, and let him know that a change was imminent at seasons end, and /or dictated that certain changes "would be made" at season's end. I think the kind of ghuy SOS seems to be , that didn't sit well. He said forget that , I am out of here now.

Just an opinion and you know what everyone says about an opinion.
On the contrary, that is very unlikely. Tanner is smart enough to know how damaging it is when a head coach jumps ship during the season.

Why not? What has Pastides done? I acknowledge he seems like a nice guy. Additionally, his support of sports has been public, which is nice if you care only about our athletic programs. But, since he has taken over I have yet to see any improvement in our academic ranking. Meanwhile, the Clemps seem to be doing quite well in football and academic rankings. We're surrounded by state schools that are ranked much higher than us.

It's absurd, especially considering how much more we're paying for tuition and for sports.
So let me ask you; what is he (Pastidides) supposed to do? Is it really that easy to find a coach that will lead us to an undefeated season? If so, don't you think other schools would do it? But wait, we're USC. We're the school that for years fans believed we had the only coaching staff that could spot a 2* athlete that would become a superstar........until the train wreck.

Just curious, what kind of question(s) would you ask a prospective AD or head coach to determine if they were superstar coaches?

Last edited:
Left because he lost the team. Fight between players at LSU in locker room at half! He lost it just like Holtz. Elliott doesnt have to worry about any fights at the Clemson game. Our players dont have any fight in them. Less than a half dozen could start on other SEC teams. Walk ons and scrubs is what Spurrier left us with but he left with a boat load of money. It was always about him not USC. It has been about him since forever.
He left because he lost his "What have you done for me lately" fanbase. He read his tweets and probably either read, or had someone else read things such as this forum, and didn't want to be somewhere he wasn't wanted. He is too much a professional to let anyone know that, but he gave everyone what they wanted and they crucify him for leaving.. Go figure.

players laying down, not playing. a no win situation. They want new coaches.
I guess there is one thing USC fans have in common with CU fans. Both hate a quitter. Actually fans at all schools whether they like USC or not chimed in about a coach who would quit midseason on his own team. I suppose fans at all schools realize that coaches come and go and it's the fans who are left to pick up the pieces.

I honestly think he thought the staff hung him out to dry...so he hung them out to dry...as if..."you said they could play, you said you could coach them up....you did nothing.....so it's yours"....he put what they created back on them....JMO...

Reactions: Jtowngamecock
I honestly think he thought the staff hung him out to dry...so he hung them out to dry...as if..."you said they could play, you said you could coach them up....you did nothing.....so it's yours"....he put what they created back on them....JMO...
I think u just hit the nail on the head. Good post superfly

I always thought Brandon Wilds' refusal to play at LSU was the last straw for Spurrier. I think it showed him he could no longer relate to the players on this team.

It takes a Tiger fan to get it right on this board..........sad. SOS makes some bone head calls, but he also is about performing and winning. He wasn't a rah rah coach and I guess felt like everyone should want to win internally like he did and not have to push a player to want to do his best.

With that said, I, like SOS, have wondered why our backs (except Carson) run with their eyes down and always stumbling and falling into a non hole? I wondered why our defensive line feels standing in one spot is the best defense. I wonder why are d backs think grabbing at someone's arm is the way to tackle a ball carrier as he moves 10 more yards down the field. Coaches can yell and scream all they want, but if a player gives 75%, we're in trouble. Coaches can make stupid alignment calls, but sometimes great effort overcomes a bad call............we never get that except from a few.

So yeah, I'm sure he said no way I'm turning this around in 6 games, and I'm not coming back, so he followed through on his words when he was hired.........."when I feel like I've taken this team as far as I can, I'll step aside and let someone else give it a go." That was what he's been saying for years. He did that and

My hope is that today, our players throw it all on the line cause this is their last chance

Reactions: Scuba_do
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT