ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo rant about the portal

GoCocksFight2021

Jan 28, 2021
"It's crazy, it's really sad, to be honest with you," Swinney said Wednesday at Clemson's signing day ceremony. "There's right around 2,000 kids in the portal and most of them don't have anywhere to go. There's so much tampering going on and so many adults manipulating young people. It's sad, but you know, it is what it is from that standpoint. You've got a lot of young people that; there's a time and a place, but most of the kids are in there when they shouldn't be in there."

"Some of the lessons we're teaching young people I don't think is going to benefit them well as they move through their life," Swinney said. "It is something everybody has to manage and deal with. There's no consequences. There's no rules. I'm all for transferring. I personally think we should let them go whenever they want. I just think they should sit a year and then you get that year back upon graduation. What we've done is decentivize and de-value education and I think that's the wrong approach."

Not sure this is going to go over well with recruits and players.

He makes good points. Kids these days don’t know how to deal with adversity. Their first reaction is I’ll just transfer but you have to have two to tango and some kids get left in the portal with no where to go. The idea of having to sit but getting that year back if you graduate is not a bad idea.

"It's crazy, it's really sad, to be honest with you," Swinney said Wednesday at Clemson's signing day ceremony. "There's right around 2,000 kids in the portal and most of them don't have anywhere to go. There's so much tampering going on and so many adults manipulating young people. It's sad, but you know, it is what it is from that standpoint. You've got a lot of young people that; there's a time and a place, but most of the kids are in there when they shouldn't be in there."

"Some of the lessons we're teaching young people I don't think is going to benefit them well as they move through their life," Swinney said. "It is something everybody has to manage and deal with. There's no consequences. There's no rules. I'm all for transferring. I personally think we should let them go whenever they want. I just think they should sit a year and then you get that year back upon graduation. What we've done is decentivize and de-value education and I think that's the wrong approach."

$10 million Dabo is such a total hypocrite. Until he advocates for rules that coaches have to sit for a year before moving to another program, he needs to shut up.

The MAJOR thing causing these changes in college football is the astronomical amount of money being produced and the incredible salaries now being pulled down by coaches. Every one is cashing in except those that are the actual product. If $10 million Dabo wants to make a statement, return chunks of his own out of control salary. Wouldn't hold my breath.

Is he Einstein now? Who cares what he thinks. The world changes, things evolve and you, as a coach, have to evolve as well. Honestly, the portal benefits a lot of programs. The old model of college football has become stale. A certain small percentage of the teams (like Alabama) stockpile talent at every position and are three deep on the depth chart, meanwhile the majority of the other programs are lucky to just compete. Look how we just benefited from it by getting a really good QB. In some cases it's leveling the playing field.

Is he Einstein now? Who cares what he thinks. The world changes, things evolve and you, as a coach, have to evolve as well. Honestly, the portal benefits a lot of programs. The old model of college football has become stale. A certain small percentage of the teams (like Alabama) stockpile talent at every position and are three deep on the depth chart, meanwhile the majority of the other programs are lucky to just compete. Look how we just benefited from it by getting a really good QB. In some cases it's leveling the playing field.

I do agree with that. The only thing that concerns me about the portal is the influence of NIL money. The schools with the richer fanbases maybe start picking off the talent from school with less money.

Reactions: Flashycock78
For a long time coaches could be fired or take a better job, all while leaving players with no way to transfer without sitting out a year. Coaches didn’t get penalized but players did, even though the person that recruited them left them. If players can be paid now, why shouldn’t they be able to become essentially “free agents” too?

Reactions: funktavious
Dabo will be deep in the portal or UPC will return to full ACC minnow status.

Honestly, Dabo knows why he is rich, and he doesn't want to accept the new world order. Football players are commodities making money for coaches/universities and the NCAA itself. The NCAA was fat and stupid and decided not to change years ago to include some type of profit sharing and the kids/handlers/parents challenged the bs setup.

I do not like how things are going right now, but too bad. The NCAA should have gotten out front instead of hoarding money.

For a long time coaches could be fired or take a better job, all while leaving players with no way to transfer without sitting out a year. Coaches didn’t get penalized but players did, even though the person that recruited them left them. If players can be paid now, why shouldn’t they be able to become essentially “free agents” too?

Just devils advocate, while most coaches aren’t guaranteed yearly contracts, players were guaranteed free degrees no matter performance or how many years it took.

I think this is more if Dabo being mad he can’t control kids or be the only one paying them.

Just devils advocate, while most coaches aren’t guaranteed yearly contracts, players were guaranteed free degrees no matter performance or how many years it took.

Not true...only a few schools do not make scholarships one-year renewable agreements. Usually this does not come into play, but they are not four plus year commitments between players and schools.

Not true...only a few schools do not make scholarships one-year renewable agreements. Usually this does not come into play, but they are not four plus year commitments between players and schools.

NCAA wide rule that they are 4 years. And yes they are 4+ years so long as you are in good standing. I’ve had friends take advantage of it.

Y'all can trash Dabo all you want, and I hate Clemson as much as anyone about he's right on this one. These kids have no incentive to work hard and become great. If coaches don't kiss players asses, the players leave for "greener pastures," except sometimes they don't get picked up by another team. Everybody loses.

$10 million Dabo is such a total hypocrite. Until he advocates for rules that coaches have to sit for a year before moving to another program, he needs to shut up.

The MAJOR thing causing these changes in college football is the astronomical amount of money being produced and the incredible salaries now being pulled down by coaches. Every one is cashing in except those that are the actual product. If $10 million Dabo wants to make a statement, return chunks of his own out of control salary. Wouldn't hold my breath.
This argument sounds good but isn't realistic. It's like people who complain nfl players make more than military. If you don't want them making that money, don't watch the games. They're paid because people pay to watch. Nobody pays to watch soldiers fight, it's federal funding. If nfl teams didn't have fans and sell merchandise, they wouldn't make that obscene money. Dabo has brought literal millions to that that school from playoffs and bowl appearances. Btw, I hate Clemson as much as any real gamecock.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If a player chooses to enter the portal and doesn’t get picked up, does he lose his scholarship? If so, the portal does present some risk for those players that are not sure to be picked up. Just wondering about the mechanics of it all.

Reactions: caughtlookin
If a player chooses to enter the portal and doesn’t get picked up, does he lose his scholarship? If so, the portal does present some risk for those players that are not sure to be picked up. Just wondering about the mechanics of it all.

I'm thinking yes. I do wonder what percentage of players find new homes at equivalent level, how many drop levels (p5 to g5 to lower, etc) and how many end up just sol.

I'm thinking yes. I do wonder what percentage of players find new homes at equivalent level, how many drop levels (p5 to g5 to lower, etc) and how many end up just sol.

The amount that are SOL is staggering. Here are some numbers from last year - 72% had no home in February. That caused them to drop down a level or find nothing. They do point out that many of the transfer numbers are skewed by walk-ons entering. Which, what does a walk-on think they're going to find?

https://www.outkick.com/overwhelming-majority-of-players-in-transfer-portal-have-not-landed-offers/

It's up to their school. They can enter their name into the portal and then choose to stay at their current school. But at that point, their school is NOT obligated to keep them.

Last edited:
This argument sounds good but isn't realistic. It's like people who complain nfl players make more than military. If you don't want them making that money, don't watch the games. They're paid because people pay to watch. Nobody pays to watch soldiers fight, it's federal funding. If nfl teams didn't have fans and sell merchandise, they wouldn't make that obscene money. Dabo has brought literal millions to that that school from playoffs and bowl appearances. Btw, I hate Clemson as much as any real gamecock.
And can you say with a straight face say the players themselves are not a very large reason why those CU teams made the playoffs? The coaches didnt do it alone. That is where the $ imbalance is unsustainable. If eternal victim Dabo can cash $10 million dollar checks that are funded from success on the field those players accomplished but he still is against any revenue share for the players......TOTAL hypocrosy. If he is truly against the big cash of modern college football, why doesnt he give most of that back to maybe fund academic pursuits that he claims to cherish so dearly.

He thinks players transferring should be forced to sit out a year. Yet, he doesnt think coaches leaving for a job at another school should be forced to do the same. Hypocrite!

Again, he is a TOTAL hypocrite on this and I am glad he is finally being exposed for that. Surprised so many of our "fans" seem to defend him.

Reactions: taiwancock
And can you say with a straight face say the players themselves are not a very large reason why those CU teams made the playoffs? The coaches didnt do it alone. That is where the $ imbalance is unsustainable. If eternal victim Dabo can cash $10 million dollar checks that are funded from success on the field those players accomplished but he still is against any revenue share for the players......TOTAL hypocrosy. If he is truly against the big cash of modern college football, why doesnt he give most of that back to maybe fund academic pursuits that he claims to cherish so dearly.

He thinks players transferring should be forced to sit out a year. Yet, he doesnt think coaches leaving for a job at another school should be forced to do the same. Hypocrite!

Again, he is a TOTAL hypocrite on this and I am glad he is finally being exposed for that. Surprised so many of our "fans" seem to defend him.
I guess when I hear people speak of sharing revenue with players, I can't help but think of the advantages of a free college education. I know that's a tired argument and one that seems abandoned at this point. Despite the fact that no one seems to value it, I think it's relevant. Look at the enormous advantages which come from a free education. People act as though players are put-upon or oppressed by playing college ball. They have tremendous benefits not available to the average student. How does a school share revenue...TV money? This disadvantages schools in conferences like C-USA (for example). Share revenue based on the coaching staff's salary? How much do coaches have to give back?

I think a lot of it is not so much a rush to defend him, as some people might partially agree with him. Rivalry aside. Even throw out the hypocrisy that is evident.

A lot of people may see the instant transfer as fair, but also see that it's going to seriously impact college football. It'll be great to pick up the occasional rattler, but it's going to become a yearly norm for larger and larger numbers of players just swapping teams.

There will be less loyalty and continuity. Some will like that, but some (reasonably imo) see that as a bad thing for college foorball.

Heard in a podcast 70% dropped down a level. 20% went up or transferred to another P5. 10% didn’t find a new school.

I think a lot of it is not so much a rush to defend him, as some people might partially agree with him. Rivalry aside. Even throw out the hypocrisy that is evident.

A lot of people may see the instant transfer as fair, but also see that it's going to seriously impact college football. It'll be great to pick up the occasional rattler, but it's going to become a yearly norm for larger and larger numbers of players just swapping teams.

There will be less loyalty and continuity. Some will like that, but some (reasonably imo) see that as a bad thing for college foorball.
There has been this lack of loyalty from coaches forever and no one seemed to notice. Now that the players are starting to get some equal footing, folks dont seem to like it. Hmmm

He's the biggest crybaby on the planet.

Reactions: USC2USC

I absolutely agree! Good for Dabo telling it like it is! Make them sit out a year, especially with NIL pimping now legal.

Reactions: SparkleCity
I guess when I hear people speak of sharing revenue with players, I can't help but think of the advantages of a free college education. I know that's a tired argument and one that seems abandoned at this point. Despite the fact that no one seems to value it, I think it's relevant. Look at the enormous advantages which come from a free education. People act as though players are put-upon or oppressed by playing college ball. They have tremendous benefits not available to the average student. How does a school share revenue...TV money? This disadvantages schools in conferences like C-USA (for example). Share revenue based on the coaching staff's salary? How much do coaches have to give back?
Well at least you admit it. The free tuition argument is lame. Everyone I am sure understands there are many, many students on college campuses that are on a variety of levels of scholarship. All of those, except for athletes, are still able to go out and make money from their efforts that could generate cash. Think of it this way.....a music student at Carolina that is on music scholarship from USC can still go out and earn revenue from their musical skill and talent that the USC music department is helping them develop through private lessons, faculty instruction, courses, etc.

The incredibly lavish salaries for coaches have driven all of this. Coaches can leave a school whenever they want. Now that transfer policies have loosened up for players, people seem to have issue with that including world-class hypocrite $10 million Dabo.

Now there are ways for athletes to earn some revenue off of their own likeness. Folks are upset about that too.

The playing field between the AD, coaches and the players has been made slightly more even. And I think its a good thing.

If you dont like the changes in college football, take your focus off the players and look squarely at the NCAA, conferences, ESPN and coaches. They are the ones driving the insane levels of cash and keeping it all for themselves. They created the imbalance that is simply unsustainable.

Reactions: taiwancock
There has been this lack of loyalty from coaches forever and no one seemed to notice. Now that the players are starting to get some equal footing, folks dont seem to like it. Hmmm

I don't think a lot of the fans liked the lack of loyalty from coaches.

I understood it when it was a coach moving up a level, but I didn't like they way they just left.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to take a bad situation and just say "everyone do that" now.

It's fair, sure. It's just to the detriment of the game.

I guess when I hear people speak of sharing revenue with players, I can't help but think of the advantages of a free college education.

That payment is a huge deal, and would probably be more fairly judged if the athletes were straight paid and had to pay for college out of their salary.

Imo, the whole limiting of players outside their scholarship was an attempt to limit cheating by paying players. That's going to be done out in the open now, and I don't tend to think that's going to make things better.

Reactions: hillstosea
Sports is business….and it’s take a long time for college athletics to get here but it was coming one way or the other with the amount of money it’s generating.

the school and the NCAA have but the business and money of sports ahead of everything else, so it’s hard to cry foul with the folks at the bottom catch up to that mentality and start demanding it themselves. It started with the top tier coaches (who put in crazy hours and do it all under constant stress) demanding their cut and they got it and now here we are at the players doing the same thing.

There isn’t a way to fix it that I see, unless we’re going to nix these broadcasting contracts, etc…

I predict the bottom will fall out at some point - 10 to 20 years maybe - and this model that we’re seeing morph into existence right now won’t remain sustainable. Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out!

Yes, the scholarship is forfeited the moment they enter the portal, even if they take their name out of the portal and return to their university

That payment is a huge deal, and would probably be more fairly judged if the athletes were straight paid and had to pay for college out of their salary.

Imo, the whole limiting of players outside their scholarship was an attempt to limit cheating by paying players. That's going to be done out in the open now, and I don't tend to think that's going to make things better.
I’d argue that the scholarship is only a big deal to some players. Specifically, the type of kid who has zero aspirations to play professionally, but is strictly using football to further his education.
On the flip side; does the hypothetical $40,000/year scholarship really cost the school $40,000? Of course not. Players are housed in buildings paid for by their predecessors, are added to classes that already have tons of students, and are hardly a drain on regular school resources.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Don't disagree that coaches are being paid to much, but most college athletic programs barely break even, some even rely on state money. USA today has a chart showing this and it used to be free, but now is on the subscriber only page. Only maybe 10 programs in the country turn a profit, many are break even, and a large portion lose money. Title 9 at its finest, football pays for everything at most schools. This is why you are starting to see sponsorships more around stadiums, beer sales, naming rights to stadiums (Kentucky's football stadium), etc. They are trying to figure out ways to generate more revenue. It is becoming a professional sport but the money is simply not there.

The top revenue generating school in the country is texas at 223 million annually. The average NFL team generates 381 million, and that was in 2020 when fans were limited, why because they rely mostly on sponsorship money.

With all that being said, i don't see players being paid by anything other than the NIL anytime soon unless stadiums and uniforms become nothing more than massive commercial billboards.

I’d argue that the scholarship is only a big deal to some players. Specifically, the type of kid who has zero aspirations to play professionally, but is strictly using football to further his education.
On the flip side; does the hypothetical $40,000/year scholarship really cost the school $40,000? Of course not. Players are housed in buildings paid for by their predecessors, are added to classes that already have tons of students, and are hardly a drain on regular school resources.

They get far more than just the education for free. They get training, food, recovery, gear, electronics, stipend, etc that some estimate cost the school 50k or more on top of that free education. Pro athletes have to pay for much of what college athletes get included in their scholarship.

This article has the median athlete costing the school 92k.

“Athletic departments spend far more per athlete than institutions spend to educate the average student—typically three to six times as much; among Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) institutions, median athletic spending was nearly $92,000 per athlete in 2010, while median academic spending per full-time equivalent (FTE) student was less than $14,000 in these same universities.“

With the percentage of kids that make the NFL being so low, I'd say this group encompasses the vast majority of athletes. Granted a lot of them still think they're the ones that are going to make it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT