ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo rant about the portal

Yeah, Dabo is a hypocrite. Does Brent Venables need to sit out a year before he coaches Oklahoma? Does Tony Elliott need to sit out a year before he coaches Virginia. Coaches want free movement and want to use every tactic to hold kids in a place even if they are not using them. They try to use this fight through adversity argument. However, why fight through adversity, if someone else appreciates what you bring to the table and is willing to use you. Kenneth Walker vaulted into the Heisman conversation at Michigan State while Wake Forest only saw him as a backup. So, every situation is not the same. Sometimes a kid may need to give it some time. In other situations, there is no reason for a kid to sit around in a program's depth chart when he has an opportunity somewhere else.

No there are a lot of people that share that same feeling. I am one of them along with many others who have expressed this feeling in this very thread.
Good for you. Lots of people value an education. I had to pay for mine, along with books, meals, housing etc. Worked during college, so the value of that education means something to me. I guess if it was given to someone it probably doesn't mean as much.

Reactions: cfbfan15
Good for you. Lots of people value an education. I had to pay for mine, along with books, meals, housing etc. Worked during college, so the value of that education means something to me. I guess if it was given to someone it probably doesn't mean as much.
So should you be able to force your values on these athletes? If they value making it to the nfl over a degree shouldn’t they have that choice? All of life is about risk vs reward.

And can you say with a straight face say the players themselves are not a very large reason why those CU teams made the playoffs? The coaches didnt do it alone. That is where the $ imbalance is unsustainable. If eternal victim Dabo can cash $10 million dollar checks that are funded from success on the field those players accomplished but he still is against any revenue share for the players......TOTAL hypocrosy. If he is truly against the big cash of modern college football, why doesnt he give most of that back to maybe fund academic pursuits that he claims to cherish so dearly.

He thinks players transferring should be forced to sit out a year. Yet, he doesnt think coaches leaving for a job at another school should be forced to do the same. Hypocrite!

Again, he is a TOTAL hypocrite on this and I am glad he is finally being exposed for that. Surprised so many of our "fans" seem to defend him.
Then they shouldn't get scholarships. Even public universities in SC cost upwards of $30k per year if you factor in books and meal plans. Plus Football players get all sorts of clothes and extra nutrition, etc. I am just saying. It's not like the players aren't getting anything. If they got engineering degrees, they'd be making tons of money when they graduated.

Last years florida defense ranked 55th in total defense, which rattler beat, this year 46th, brown beat. And florida last year was 8-4, going 1-4 vs ranked teams. Like i said, we will see, he may ball out, but I wouldn't put to much stock in how he played vs an overrated florida team.
OK, thanks. Always super helpful to have a Clempson's fan's characterization of the South Carolina QB situation.

You can have
Then they shouldn't get scholarships. Even public universities in SC cost upwards of $30k per year if you factor in books and meal plans. Plus Football players get all sorts of clothes and extra nutrition, etc. I am just saying. It's not like the players aren't getting anything. If they got engineering degrees, they'd be making tons of money when they graduated.
You can have your opinion but thank goodness its outdated and the changes are already afoot in college football and it won't go back. These players deserve to be on more equal footing and have been exploited for far too long.

OK, thanks. Always super helpful to have a Clempson's fan's characterization of the South Carolina QB situation.
Not speaking as a clemson fan, honestly have enjoyed our conversation. Didn't know we were talking about a qb situation? Thought it was about transferring and the open market, guess it did digress into a couple of players! Anywho, cheers and have a merry christmas

You can have

You can have your opinion but thank goodness its outdated and the changes are already afoot in college football and it won't go back. These players deserve to be on more equal footing and have been exploited for far too long.
Agree 1000%. I just feel it’s going to have to go to the colleges paying the players so they can then counter with a contract to keep them there. Which I think is fair. Won’t be good for smaller colleges but that’s just going to be the nature of the beast.

Those of y’all who still seem to think there is any chance of clawing-back the old ways of college football are delusional. It’s over. The system isn’t going to revert. Just be glad we’re in a conference that keeps us potentially relevant.

I don't think anyone is saying that it can go back. I know for myself, I'm just lamenting the negative impact.

Reactions: mikeypen
So should you be able to force your values on these athletes? If they value making it to the nfl over a degree shouldn’t they have that choice? All of life is about risk vs reward.
Of course they should. Who is keeping them from that? If an athlete is good enough to make it to the pros, they will rise to the top.But wait that may involve having to ride the pine for a year or 2.All the while enjoying a provided education, meals, fitness facilities, housing etc. But now what about the 90% who dont make it to the pros, what do they have at the end? That's right an education that no one can take from them...ever. Not flashy, but it used to mean something.

You can have

exploited=victim

You can have

You can have your opinion but thank goodness its outdated and the changes are already afoot in college football and it won't go back. These players deserve to be on more equal footing and have been exploited for far too

I'm okay with agreeing to disagree. I'm not saying that it's currently equitable, but I do think college football will die due to this NIL and transfer portal rules. There will be 6-8 good teams, and everyone else won't matter.

Reactions: josillor
Of course they should. Who is keeping them from that? If an athlete is good enough to make it to the pros, they will rise to the top.But wait that may involve having to ride the pine for a year or 2.All the while enjoying a provided education, meals, fitness facilities, housing etc. But now what about the 90% who dont make it to the pros, what do they have at the end? That's right an education that no one can take from them...ever. Not flashy, but it used to mean something.
Your still missing the point. If they think they can transfer and not ride the pine they should have that right. Just like you have the right to better yourself and take a job somewhere else. If they are left without an education they know that could be an issue. They should still get the chance to decide if they value that education or not.

I eluded to this earlier, if my son said dad, I don’t want to go to college I want to be a welder. I would be ok with that. He can make a very good living and not have to payoff debt. I will not be paying for my kids college. They will have to decide if they want it to enough to pay for it. These kids don’t get that choice. They have to go to college to make it to the nfl. Which I think is bs but that’s a subject for another day.

Not speaking as a clemson fan, honestly have enjoyed our conversation. Didn't know we were talking about a qb situation? Thought it was about transferring and the open market, guess it did digress into a couple of players! Anywho, cheers and have a merry christmas
Yea, I think it was about both. I believe you mentioned Rattler and thats why it took that turn.

You can have

Have them sign a contract for payment like the pros then and have them responsible for their education and all the other benefits that the school has been providing just like pro athletes have to do. I bet you will see the same people saying they are exploited aka victims quickly change their tune about all the benefits they were getting. You can't have it both ways.

I am not saying NIL is wrong or that transferring shouldn't be allowed, but they aren't the helpless unpaid victims like the false narrative tries to promote.

Have them sign a contract for payment like the pros then and have them responsible for their education and all the other benefits that the school has been providing just like pro athletes have to do. I bet you will see the same people saying they are exploited aka victims quickly change their tune about all the benefits they were getting. You can't have it both ways.

I am not saying NIL is wrong or that transferring shouldn't be allowed, but they aren't the helpless unpaid victims like the false narrative tries to promote.
Should we also require coaches fulfill their full contractual commitment to the university and players?

Should we also require coaches fulfill their full contractual commitment to the university and players?

That actually brings up another point. If we want to treat players like the coaches (free to move on), we should expect the new school to pay the "buyout " of the player, like they do for coaches. Maybe the cost of his schollie, etc.

You get it takes a buyout to get them out of their contract. Right? So clearly they already adhere to their contracts. 🤦🏻‍♂️

When Jimmy Johnson went to the NFL , one wag said " Jimmy is gonna be surprised to find out that every team can spend as much money on players as he can . Unlike college " . That is Yabba dabba Do's real complaint .

He rants against the portal at the same he pursues kids in the portal.
What a douche.

He hasn’t yet, prior to this year. Obviously he will because it’s College FB going forward! How many non Scholarship athletes who are able to earn a College education and in some cases a Master’s degree free? Better yet how many non scholarships athletes are in debt because of not being a scholarship athlete? The pay for play in college FB is for the birds!! I agree with the coaches Salary being ridiculous and I agree with the NCAA being a clown show but the NIL and Transfer Portal are for the birds as a fan of College Football!!! Look at Quinn Ewers for an example!! Crazy, not on his part but College FB now days!!! We can’t out think Common sense!!

Last edited:
You get it takes a buyout to get them out of their contract. Right? So clearly they already adhere to their contracts. 🤦🏻‍♂️
No. People say athletes should remain at the school to fulfill their commitment to the school. And because of this, if they leave they should have to sit for a few games or for a year. I am asking why should the coaches not have to do the same thing? They sign a contract with the school and make a commitment.

And because of the astronomical dollars involved that have caused the recent changes, another school can come by, poach that coach, oftentimes before a bowl game, pay their buyout and all is good. It is another example of how the playing field has been incredibly stacked against the actual players generating the revenue. Thats exploitation.

That actually brings up another point. If we want to treat players like the coaches (free to move on), we should expect the new school to pay the "buyout " of the player, like they do for coaches. Maybe the cost of his schollie, etc.
Scholarships are not contracts. Students are only eligible for them as long as they are enrolled in school in good standing. Similarly, the school can dismiss someone on scholarship for not making academic progress in their degree program. In this case, the school isn't responsible for fulfilling the remaining value of the scholarship.

No. People say athletes should remain at the school to fulfill their commitment to the school. And because of this, if they leave they should have to sit for a few games or for a year. I am asking why should the coaches not have to do the same thing? They sign a contract with the school and make a commitment.

And because of the astronomical dollars involved that have caused the recent changes, another school can come by, poach that coach, oftentimes before a bowl game, pay their buyout and all is good. It is another example of how the playing field has been incredibly stacked against the actual players generating the revenue. Thats exploitation.

So.arrange some sort of buyout for the players, just like the coaches. If it was the NFL, it could be compensatory draft picks. What could it be for colleges?

Scholarships are not contracts. Students are only eligible for them as long as they are enrolled in school in good standing. Similarly, the school can dismiss someone on scholarship for not making academic progress in their degree program. In this case, the school isn't responsible for fulfilling the remaining value of the scholarship.

Ha, we answered at the same time. The premise is to treat them that way though. Treat them like coaches with a contract, or an employee.

So if, as you suggest, you want college to be more like the NFL, lets allow college athletes to unionize like NFL players and then they can collective bargain with the NCAA and colleges.

Several times you have made this reference that college athletes get all these free benefits that professional athletes dont. That is a pure fantasy. My nephew works in administration for a current NFL team. Those players are catered to hand and foot by the team organization so don't kid yourself. The org he works for has a pristine dining facility for players (I have seen it), custom weight rooms, very large athletic and medical staff, top level rehab and recovery facilities, they fly to away games in a private Boeing jet, stay in 5 star hotels. All that......and they get big pay checks. And they can still marketing their own businesses to earn cash on top of that.

They agreed to a contract to get a free education and if they left they couldn’t play for a year. Sounds a lot like a non compete clause. Do you think every low level employee is a exploited because their CEO makes millions? Again, things can or should be adjusted but I will never agree that these guys are the victims that you want us to believe they are. There are kids getting opportunities to change their family’s futures through their education and 1% through becoming a pro.

So if, as you suggest, you want college to be more like the NFL, lets allow college athletes to unionize like NFL players and then they can collective bargain with the NCAA and colleges.

Several times you have made this reference that college athletes get all these free benefits that professional athletes dont. That is a pure fantasy. My nephew works in administration for a current NFL team. Those players are catered to hand and foot by the team organization so don't kid yourself. The org he works for has a pristine dining facility for players (I have seen it), custom weight rooms, very large athletic and medical staff, top level rehab and recovery facilities, they fly to away games in a private Boeing jet, stay in 5 star hotels. All that......and they get big pay checks. And they can still marketing their own businesses to earn cash on top of that.

Just understand that now they have zero choice in their college and degree. You can’t get all the benefits and none of the negatives. That’s the issue that you’re missing.

I’ve talked to multiple pro football players and they are on the hook for food, fitness and treatment more than you want to believe. Also, there’s 6-8 months of off season that colleges continue to cover the cost for athletes whereas the NFL says you’re on your own. Let’s not get into cost of living in some of these NFL areas.

When has college football ever been about education? When was the last time you were in the stands and you heard a fan say, "you see number 21 on the sideline? He has a 4.0 gpa." It's always been about winning. That college degree has been secondary for most athletes. Also, they're transferring to another school. They will still get their degree.

Just understand that now they have zero choice in their college and degree. You can’t get all the benefits and none of the negatives. That’s the issue that you’re missing.

I’ve talked to multiple pro football players and they are on the hook for food, fitness and treatment more than you want to believe. Also, there’s 6-8 months of off season that colleges continue to cover the cost for athletes whereas the NFL says you’re on your own. Let’s not get into cost of living in some of these NFL areas.
What do you mean they have zero choice on their college degree?

They agreed to a contract to get a free education and if they left they couldn’t play for a year. Sounds a lot like a non compete clause. Do you think every low level employee is a exploited because their CEO makes millions? Again, things can or should be adjusted but I will never agree that these guys are the victims that you want us to believe they are. There are kids getting opportunities to change their family’s futures through their education and 1% through becoming a pro.
The only person here pushing the "victim" narrative is you. And your arguments sound a lot like the "why they being so uppity" narrative we heard lots in the south in the 60s and 70s. Kinda like "yea they produce hundreds of millions in cash for the corporate college football elite and cant they just be happy with access to a buffet and some free Under Armour?".

Reactions: mcbear30
The only person here pushing the "victim" narrative is you. And your arguments sound a lot like the "why they being so uppity" narrative we heard lots in the south in the 60s and 70s. Kinda like "yea they produce hundreds of millions in cash for the corporate college football elite and cant they just be happy with access to a buffet and some free Under Armour?".

Wow. Your argument is akin to calling someone Hitler. Once you go there is no reason to continue a discussion.

Wow. Your argument is akin to calling someone Hitler. Once you go there is no reason to continue a discussion.
Completely outrageous statement but I will hand it to you. You are relentless at trying to divert away from the core issue.

Some reality. Below is a link to rivals current top 250 college athletes. Do some scrolling.

Completely outrageous statement but I will hand it to you. You are relentless at trying to divert away from the core issue.

Well, I read the lame "uppity" comment about the South the same way as he did.

Well, I read the lame "uppity" comment about the South the same way as he did.
Did you do any scrolling through the current Rivals250 I linked?

That poster using my comment to reference a mass murderer who perpetuated the slaughter of 11 million humans is outrageous.

Did you do any scrolling through the current Rivals250 I linked?

That poster using my comment to reference a mass murderer who perpetuated the slaughter of 11 million humans is outrageous.

Okay, maybe the Hitler thing was a stretch, but bringing in the race card was a thread killer for me. Just gets old and makes the discussion not interesting.

Have a good day though.

Reactions: CockyinNoVa
Okay, maybe the Hitler thing was a stretch, but bringing in the race card was a thread killer for me. Just gets old and makes the discussion not interesting.

Have a good day though.

My reference to Hitler was trying to say what you did about being thread ending comment. My point is it’s the same as when having a political conversation and someone throws out a Hitler reference you know it’s time to end that conversation because they’re not being reasonable or rational.

My reference to Hitler was trying to say what you did about being thread ending comment. My point is it’s the same as when having a political conversation and someone throws out a Hitler reference you know it’s time to end that conversation because they’re not being reasonable or rational.
Two things...

1. Your comment is not ok ever, stop making excuses.
2. Just because someone disagrees with you and you are struggling to make a rational, fact-based defense of your take doesn't make the other unreasonable or irrational.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT