ADVERTISEMENT

I've calmed down, but I'm done I think

Some people act like if you lose more than 2 games in a season then your football program should be dismantled and/or no investments should be made into the future of the program.
You know what other schools are also in the same boat as us? Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss St, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Miami, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Southern Cal, Oklahoma St., UCLA, Oregon State, Stanford, Michigan, and yes....Bill Snyder's Kansas St. - you can spend hours debating it, but none of these schools is stacked like Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and maybe Ohio State...none of them.

Even your example of Texas AM - a school that historically has pumped money into their football program - has nothing really to show for it to date...they have a hard-earned loss to Clemson, so good for them. Their neighbors down the road at Texas have been struggling for years now as well and they might have more resources than any school mentioned above. What does Michigan have lately? What does Notre Dame have lately?

Kansas St. is actually a GREAT example of what I'm talking about - a school you would expect to generally underachieve yet has built a solid program and at times over their history they have risen up and had some really solid seasons, even runs of solid seasons - but how many rings has Bill Snyder brought them? Zero. Should they pack up and call it a day?

I strongly feel this "winning is the only thing that matters and I want to win NOW!" attitude is actually a guise for what truly lies underneath - which is a loser mentality. Maybe not in all cases - but I feel like in many cases this is true.

We've run into a perfect storm of our 2 biggest rivals having "made it" to the top...and yes, they have made it to the top. It's a shi**y reality we all share in regardless of how we cope with it. But I recall coming off our 5th win over Clemson thinking "man, these guys may never beat us again!" - but I was wrong...things were shifting...even though Clemson had been losing in some key games they were building a system there and it worked for them. Dont be fooled though - they will come back down at some point, most every school does at some point - even mighty Alabama.

I think many people need a perspective shift...try to see the positive things about our program....the better facilities, the improved stadium and grounds appearance, the more talented roster, the coaching staff that embraces the modern reruiting techniques....try to see those things and know that we have a big hil to climb and are one of probably 50 other schools making that same climb with that same thought of "if we do this right maybe we can also get into that top group" - so be realistic about the odds and keep on supporting a program that is doing things with integrity and getting better even if it feels like we're falling behind the ones closest to us. Maybe we are, but what the hell is a "whoa is me I'm a poor Gamecock fan" attitude going to do about that?

EDIT: I re-read this and while I still feel this way I also understand there are some in Gamecock nation that truly LOVE the school and also the state and it hurts to keep getting kicked in the gut....so to those in that boat, I feel ya....but like many others have stated, you have to keep up the fight and I think in doing so, and also finding a proper perspective, you'll be fine
MOST EXCELLENT POST...GO COCKS....

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Okay, been a fan since '79 or '80 or so, alumni, live in the Columbia area. But I've given up I think.

I have reasons, and I'll put them down as best I can. I'm not looking to convert others to my misery, but I would like to know if there is a flaw in my logic.

Okay look. I've come to believe Muschamp is a very likeable guy. His players love him. The administration everywhere he has been loved him (still do apparently).

He is as good a recruiter as we will ever have. Actually I think he is the BEST we have ever had here in that role. If he were at Georgia I think he would pull in the same kinds of classes that Smart is.

We've given him everything he has asked for. He can hire whoever he wants. We are building his football ops building (have something to say about that, but it isn't to bust Muschamp's chops, and I'll get to it later).

But in another thread I made the statement that we needed Bill Snyder, and we got Muschamp. I'm guessing most people know about Snyder and his career, and the relative position of Kansas State versus... heck even the also rans in the Big 12.

This is Muschamp's 7th year as a head coach. He has a lot of good points, but he has no ability to get his team ready for a big game. Someone called it "analysis paralysis" and overcoaching. Maybe, you'd sure think a workaholic like him would be prone to something like that. Additionally, for whatever reason I see very little indication he can pull off an upset against a team that has more talent than his. And we need that.

Last Saturday notwithstanding, his teams don't quit. And they are well coached, sorta...kinda... in a way. They know spin moves, swim moves, are well conditioned, that kind of thing. If you need someone to get players to reach inside themselves and make a play that they had no inkling they could do, well he ain't your man.

Anyway what really got me though was seeing the kind of team Georgia brought here. Unless they have their head up their butt in Athens next year, they are going to brutally dominate us worse than they did here. No home field thing, simply that one more year on a team that is actually younger than ours is >> greater than one more year on our current players. And this year's recruiting class isn't going to change that one bit, outstanding as it is for us - or most schools.

And it isn't going to change. Not as long as Smart (or a similar guy is there). They'll keep on bringing in these kinds of classes every year. BECAUSE THE PLAYERS ARE IN THEIR BACKYARD. I have a little more to say about Clemson later, but Dabo has done a great job recruiting, and he couldn't keep up with that.

Okay I mentioned Georgia. We have another traditional power, Florida with similar recruiting advantages. There is nothing we saw with Georgia that couldn't be done at Florida, just as quickly - if they have the right coach.

Now we have A&M on the schedule as our permanent opponent. Same story as Georgia and Florida - potentially. Whether Jimbo is that guy I don't know for them, but all it takes is a guy like Smart and it can happen there easily.

Then I started thinking about Tennessee. Yeah, yeah, I know. But Middle Tennessee is exploding in population. My estimation just from eyeballing the recruiting rankings is that Middle Tennessee area is about as good as the whole state of Alabama at putting out prospects now. Maybe not as many speedy db's or wr's, but they got big uglies out the wazoo. Not as good as Georgia, Florida, or Texas, but IMO comparable to Louisiana - and I'm not joking about that. Once again a right coach situation.

Now Clemson. Honestly they are the least of our problems (not counting teams like KY for now). These are their glory days. I keep mentioning the "Right Coach," but it is still applicable. Put a guy like Smart at FSU or Miami, and not only do they have a lot more trouble getting guys out of Florida, no matter what the bagman does, they also will have a lot more difficulty getting through the ACC with the kind of record that gets you in the playoff. Heck again with the right coach thing, put one at UNC and he starts to have real problems.

To me our destiny is out of our control. No matter what we do, how much money we spend, in the end what happens depends more on other schools hiring dud coaches than anything we do.

There's some kind of name for imagining or dwelling on bad situations that might never happen.

But I can see a situation where what we saw last Saturday happens four times a year, then we play Clemson.

I can't handle that. I've handled it for 38 years or so, but I can't handle it anymore.

Literally I read a projection that we would wind up in the Belk Bowl and my first thought was I hope Tanner declines that. What's the point of dragging out another lacklustre season? Just put the dog out of its misery.

I can relate. I’m 44. My family has had season tickets since 1980. My first game was was 1976. I have since taken over those tickets. Watching us be allowed decline at the end of sos, the beatings by our arch rivals, their national success, and the realization that we are still years away and more beatings are coming has absolutely killed my desire. There is something systemic here that has stood in our way. I call it commitment. The powers that be have never cared about football like our neighbors. Hope it changes quickly. A lot of years under my belt now....

Okay, been a fan since '79 or '80 or so, alumni, live in the Columbia area. But I've given up I think.

I have reasons, and I'll put them down as best I can. I'm not looking to convert others to my misery, but I would like to know if there is a flaw in my logic.

Okay look. I've come to believe Muschamp is a very likeable guy. His players love him. The administration everywhere he has been loved him (still do apparently).

He is as good a recruiter as we will ever have. Actually I think he is the BEST we have ever had here in that role. If he were at Georgia I think he would pull in the same kinds of classes that Smart is.

We've given him everything he has asked for. He can hire whoever he wants. We are building his football ops building (have something to say about that, but it isn't to bust Muschamp's chops, and I'll get to it later).

But in another thread I made the statement that we needed Bill Snyder, and we got Muschamp. I'm guessing most people know about Snyder and his career, and the relative position of Kansas State versus... heck even the also rans in the Big 12.

This is Muschamp's 7th year as a head coach. He has a lot of good points, but he has no ability to get his team ready for a big game. Someone called it "analysis paralysis" and overcoaching. Maybe, you'd sure think a workaholic like him would be prone to something like that. Additionally, for whatever reason I see very little indication he can pull off an upset against a team that has more talent than his. And we need that.

Last Saturday notwithstanding, his teams don't quit. And they are well coached, sorta...kinda... in a way. They know spin moves, swim moves, are well conditioned, that kind of thing. If you need someone to get players to reach inside themselves and make a play that they had no inkling they could do, well he ain't your man.

Anyway what really got me though was seeing the kind of team Georgia brought here. Unless they have their head up their butt in Athens next year, they are going to brutally dominate us worse than they did here. No home field thing, simply that one more year on a team that is actually younger than ours is >> greater than one more year on our current players. And this year's recruiting class isn't going to change that one bit, outstanding as it is for us - or most schools.

And it isn't going to change. Not as long as Smart (or a similar guy is there). They'll keep on bringing in these kinds of classes every year. BECAUSE THE PLAYERS ARE IN THEIR BACKYARD. I have a little more to say about Clemson later, but Dabo has done a great job recruiting, and he couldn't keep up with that.

Okay I mentioned Georgia. We have another traditional power, Florida with similar recruiting advantages. There is nothing we saw with Georgia that couldn't be done at Florida, just as quickly - if they have the right coach.

Now we have A&M on the schedule as our permanent opponent. Same story as Georgia and Florida - potentially. Whether Jimbo is that guy I don't know for them, but all it takes is a guy like Smart and it can happen there easily.

Then I started thinking about Tennessee. Yeah, yeah, I know. But Middle Tennessee is exploding in population. My estimation just from eyeballing the recruiting rankings is that Middle Tennessee area is about as good as the whole state of Alabama at putting out prospects now. Maybe not as many speedy db's or wr's, but they got big uglies out the wazoo. Not as good as Georgia, Florida, or Texas, but IMO comparable to Louisiana - and I'm not joking about that. Once again a right coach situation.

Now Clemson. Honestly they are the least of our problems (not counting teams like KY for now). These are their glory days. I keep mentioning the "Right Coach," but it is still applicable. Put a guy like Smart at FSU or Miami, and not only do they have a lot more trouble getting guys out of Florida, no matter what the bagman does, they also will have a lot more difficulty getting through the ACC with the kind of record that gets you in the playoff. Heck again with the right coach thing, put one at UNC and he starts to have real problems.

To me our destiny is out of our control. No matter what we do, how much money we spend, in the end what happens depends more on other schools hiring dud coaches than anything we do.

There's some kind of name for imagining or dwelling on bad situations that might never happen.

But I can see a situation where what we saw last Saturday happens four times a year, then we play Clemson.

I can't handle that. I've handled it for 38 years or so, but I can't handle it anymore.

Literally I read a projection that we would wind up in the Belk Bowl and my first thought was I hope Tanner declines that. What's the point of dragging out another lacklustre season? Just put the dog out of its misery.

Wow, I was upset that we lost Saturday, and I want to see the Gamecocks win several national titles in FB before I die. I can't imagine your 38 year misery, as I became a fan in 1992 when I met my wife.
At the end of the day I realize that I am just a fan, and this is suppose to be entertainment (Some times it is not pleasant), but I view FB as a way to get together with friends,family and yes, even meeting rival fans and making new friendships with them. I still fly my Gamecock flags on my vehicle (even after the wins and losses). Just remember It's just a game, and life goes on, if you let it.

We won't turn down any bowl we can qualify for.

My family is Gamecock gustapo so my choice in college was always going to be USC. Been a fan since my fist game in 1977 and was a graduate in 1996. While I may wish at times I could root for another team I still find myself back with the Gamecocks. Cant help it, I love my college. We always seem to bear the montra of underdog or even spoiler if you will. One thing I have noticed over the years is that we as a culture appreciate wins more than any fan base we play against. I will take this culture over the arrogance and spoiled behavior I have experienced in Tilman Tech, GA,, Bama, TN fans any day of the week. Many of which didn't attend these schools. I'm with ya in your frustration but hate to break it to you, your far from done man. Just like me you will be peeking at the scores. Why? Because in the following weeks weeks,
hopes the season will turn around will bring u back. Thats because you bleed garnet and black. You can pick your friends but your family your stuck with. Go Cocks! You guys rock.

I was a fan when Dietzel was the coach and except for maybe a run here and there nothing much has changed in 50 yrs. SS missed on the opportunities to win the SEC and a NC. Same tune different player. So it doesn't bother me as much anymore. My fandom is running out of spirit.
Clemson has won two NCs in less than 40 yrs. USC hasn't even gotten relatively close.
My head is down but I will still pull for the team that I have loved for so long. The FB gods will smile upon us once again as they did in SS' great years. This time maybe a different writer will write the script.

Reactions: 2001cock
My blood is and and always will be GARNET! Are we the only team in the nation that has been disappointed? Can you wear your school colors to church on Sunday and not look like a orange idiot?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2001cock
It's hard to be a Gamecock fan. Nothing has ever come easy for us. It's easy being a Clemson fan. They have never faced hardships comparable to what we have. And yet, here we are.

One thing I don't get caught up in is the idea that "we missed our window" from 2010 to 2013 and now we'll never win a championship. That's such a fatalistic, loser mentality. Like, our program definitely squandered an opportunity then. We had our chance but laid a handful of turds over those 4 golden years and, although we had some great seasons and victories, we don't have hardware to show for it. And we had a staff that put it in cruise control, leaving the next staff to pick up the pieces. It's frustrating.

But geez, no one can tell the future. I know that, if I were an honest Clemson fan in 2010, I would have been nervous for the future. Their unproven coach took them to a losing season while Carolina was winning the SEC East. 8 years later, and how the tables have turned. What will things be like 8 years from now? Please call me if you know. Forget football: I need some stock tips!

There's no guarantee of winning. Here's an amazing statistic: since the University of Notre Dame won the football national championship in 1988, they have had 3 seasons in which they have won more than 10 games. The University of South Carolina has had 3 seasons in which they have won more than 10 games. Notre Dame is a school with numerous movies about their program. A school with more money than they know what to do with. A school with all of the tradition in the world and an easier schedule than South Carolina. And they have their own national TV network. And they are tied with South Carolina with seasons of over 10 wins since they last won a national championship. Now that's something NO ONE would have predicted in 1988!

So what's my point? No one can predict the future, we might be win a championship in the not so distant future, we might not win a championship, we can't control it, so just try not to worry so much and enjoy the good times when they arrive. And if it gets too hard, try golf or cross stitch or something.

@allyourbase
That made me feel better. ND has been no better than USC the last 30 yrs. Our day has to come someday. Karma alone will see to that because GCs are the most loyal and except for a few downturns the most optimistic fans in CFB.

So what's my point? No one can predict the future, we might be win a championship in the not so distant future, we might not win a championship, we can't control it, so just try not to worry so much and enjoy the good times when they arrive. And if it gets too hard, try golf or cross stitch or something.

You are right, no one can predict the future.

But what bugs me is the possibility (even if it hasn't worked out in the past) that we could have four (not counting Clemson) teams on the schedule that have similar massive talent advantages compared to us. Georgia, Florida, A&M, and Tennessee.

A lot of people will poo-poo including Tennessee in this list, and they are a coaching dumpster fire now (and have been since '05 or so). But take a look at how many players are coming out of Middle Tennessee these days. Not scientific, but my eyeballing says it is about equivalent to Alabama now, and the area is still growing like gangbusters.

Not as good as Georgia (and I doubt it ever is), but easily comparable to Louisiana. And like LSU and Georgia they will always be the team to beat recruiting that area.

So my point is this: No matter how good a recruiter Muschamp is, he is not going to pull in classes like this year's Georgia class will be. The guys we have coming in are not going to be able to beat what Georgia has coming in.

Muschamp is a workaholic. Kirby is too. But what Smart signs with the same amount of effort, is just going to be better than what we get.

Now I'm wordy and that bugs some people. But literally all it takes is a similar recruit maniac coach like Smart (and frankly Muschamp) at any of those schools, and we see what we saw last Saturday, every year. Forever.

Maybe Tennessee is just at the level of LSU or even Clemson. Whatever. But I can see a situation where we can pen in 4 autolosses every year, and then have to play Clemson.

What Muschamp is trying to do would have worked great 15 years ago or something. But EVERYONE is doing it now. They have all these analysts evaluating recruits, build all the stupid buildings, recruit at an intensity a guy like Spurrier just never would.

And Muschamp just has shown no sign he can beat a team with better talent.

Catch-22 of that is, a guy that can will most likely not recruit at Muschamp's level. I like Mike Leach, but I have a feeling what his record is at Washington State would be a lot worse at USC, let alone him ever dupicating what he did at Texas Tech.

As an additional kind of example, Chris Peterson is doing very well at Washington. With classes that are worse than ours. No one ever questions his ability to handle a team, or his X's and O's.

But he gets beat like a red-haired stepchild in the playoff. There is that big a disparity between what he trots on the field and what Alabama does, and apparently now Georgia.

This might sound crazy, but if you go back and watch the first half of the Georgia game, it's not like we didn't belong on the field with them. They had numerous plays go their way early, and we were still right there in the game until the shanked punt, which is an anomaly for Charlton, before the half. The second half, Georgia pulled away because they have more depth than us.

I do agree that Muschamp might put too much emphasis on these big games and it has our guys playing with their buttholes tight. What can we do to stop that? Your guess is as good as mine. I do know that he is working his ass off to get us 45-50 high caliber guys that can provide us good depth. I firmly believe that this team has a very good starting 22 and the season is not lost.

Still, it's going to be another 3-5 years before we take that next step. Will we give him that long? I say yes, but it does not help Muschamp's cause that Clemson and Georgia are having immense success right now...
The 3rd quarter did us in. We fell behind by 2 scores early but fought back. We controlled the 2nd quarter but lost a little momentum on the FG we gave up at the end of the 1st half. Then we came out flat in the 3rd and it was all she wrote. They opened with a TD, we went 3 and out, another TD, and another 3 and out, and then another TD and the game was over after that. The frustrating part for me is how close we were to picking up 1st downs. We had drops and players getting within a yard to being a first down but close doesn't count in football. It sucks to get beat like that but I won't give up on this team. I still think we will be better than we were last season and that the future is bright. As someone else stated, UGA is a National Championship caliber team and they beat us with talent and depth.

Reactions: Gradstudent
If we get blown out by Clemson this year, he should be on a short leash b/c the situation will start mirroring his UF days....As has been stating many times, some people just aren't cut out to be a head coach. Psychology is an underrated component of the game and ours in big games under Muschamp has been pretty lousy so far - and horrible on Saturday. If Michigan hadn't fumbled away the bowl game last year, we'd still be looking for the first good win under this coaching staff.
What if UGA and Clemson are the only games we lose, even if they're both blowouts? How can we put him on a short leash with a team that has won 10 regular season games? You can't base the state of your program off of 1 or 2 games. Clemson and UGA currently has more talent than us. They should beat us until we have comparable talent and that is going to take time to accumulate. Our recruiting has improved each year and I have hopes that it will continue to improve as long as we continue to have some success on the gridiron.

Ga fan here, the other option is to bring in a guy with a smoke n mirrors glitchy offensive system like Mike Leach. Leach did things at Texas Tech that had never been done there either before or since he left.

My GT friends feel similar to you and that's why they decided to hire paul johnson, his Triple option offense offsets the talent gap and they've beaten better Georgia teams 3 times in Athens since he's been there.

Florida is trying that as well with hiring Dan Mullen and his system not to mention how well he did at Miss state with lesser talent.

Look at how well Hugh Freeze did while at Ole miss. He beat Bama twice.

I think Muschamp is an excellent coach but you're not getting a guy that can out scheme a better talented team for 60 minutes with him. His record speaks for itself vs teams as the underdog vs the favorite.

Spurrier was more of a glitchy smoke and mirrors type of coach with his fun and gun. He wasn't a great recruiter but always had SC in the hunt for an SEC championship and he turned florida into a powerhouse program, prior to Spurrier, Florida had nothing in their trophy case.

Get past this loss and move on, you guys are just as good or better than every other team in our division. Ole Miss and Tamu are toss up games for you guys. Win one and the rest of the eastern games and you finish 6-2 in the league.

Play Clemson tough and finish 9-3 with a trip to a bowl game.

As my good gamecock friend always says, it's still better than 1-21. He hit every game home and away during that 99, 0-11 season.

Upset Clemson and you're in orbit and their fans are in hell for 365 days.

Last edited:

It's amazing to hear South Carolina fans talk this way. I remember when the team went 0-21. Do people realize that it took over 100 years for USC to win its first bowl game (the lowly Carquest Bowl)? Now, fans are disappointed if the high-water mark is beating Michigan in yet another New Year's Day bowl. It's not such a bad time to be a Gamecock folks.

Also, I don't buy the "deck is stacked against us" argument. Granted, USC doesn't have the built-in advantages of a blueblood program in a talent-rich state. But Spurrier won 11 games and produced top ten teams 3 years in a row with Connor Shaw at QB. The team reached #4 in the final AP rankings as recently as 2013. That's CFP level. Why should anyone believe that those years are the ONLY era where this program could be nationally relevant? Meanwhile, South Carolina has won national championships in other sports like baseball and women's basketball. Somehow, being from a small state isn't such a liability when the team has an exceptional coach.

Also, look what Clemson has done right in the same state. Granted, they don't have to face an SEC schedule. But they keep playing major programs like Bama, Auburn, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Texas A&M, etc. and beating them far more often than not. They elevated their program to an elite level, just like Spurrier did for awhile at USC. No reason that can't happen in Columbia...again.

Finally, consider that Georgia is the ONLY ranked team in the Eastern division and neither of USC's western division opponents are ranked either. Florida and Tennessee have each been down for a solid decade now and both appear to still have a long rebuilding road ahead. So, the window of opportunity is wide open for USC to make a move.

To be clear, I'm not predicting greatness for USC this year. I'm merely pointing out that the program has more potential now than perhaps ever before and, despite a lopsided loss to UGA, there are clear signs that the program is moving in a positive direction. So, why give up now?

Last edited:
I can't say I haven't had similar thoughts the past few years. I have a theory on why all of a sudden, after years of being worse than we are now, so many of us feel this way-

We saw how many things came together perfectly for us during the Spurrier years (a down SEC East, a crazy string of legitimate future pro bowlers in our own backyard that wanted to stay home, a coach that could win the big games, etc.) and we didn't get anything out of it. It just seems like we need an absolutely perfect storm to compete, and we may never get one as good as we got from 2010-2013.
you are correct and the only thing their bitching will get them is a new coach and rinse and repeat...itf anybody thinks we would be better off looking for a coach then i say they dont know squat....its gonna take time regardless of who we have as the head man....and one thing that im absolutely 100% sure of is that we have a good recruiter and that is an absolute must....so even if some thinks he cannot coach the fact is its more about the jimmies and joes than the x's and o's so i would much rather have the talent..personally im tired of the whiny asses we have that think they know whats best for us..

Food for thought

Last team to win its first National Championship- The 1996 Florida Gators (remind me who their coach was?) 22 years ago. Very few have had even had a shot at it since then. I guess Oregon has been the closest.

My point- In CFB, it’s very difficult to crash the party.
It takes an innovative offensive minded coach usually. I don't think we have one of those on this staff...forgot rb coach lol

It takes an innovative offensive minded coach usually. I don't think we have one of those on this staff...forgot rb coach lol

Something else bugs me about what we are doing now too. We have this offense, one back, qb gets the snap in the shotgun, lot of RPO's...

And our qb virtually never calls his own number on any play he potentially could. Most schools that run offenses like ours expect to get some rushing yards from the qb. Sometimes a lot. But you will see the qb run it at least ten times a game, even if that isn't his strong point, and he only gets 3 yards a carry.

Defenses know ours never will, and they are totally free to key on the rb.

QB mobility is a real tool in the toolbox for beating teams with better talent. Guys like Manziel don't come along often, but even Bama had a hard time sacking him. If nothing else, no matter how deep that DL is, they are going to be sucking wind at the end of the game.

And if you run around long enough, someone is guaranteed to get open, even if you have 3 star wr's and they have 5 star db's. Not to mention the number of first downs and positive yardage on busted plays you get, along with rushing yards the qb gets by design.

If we are going to insist on playing qb's like Bentley, heck maybe we should dump what we are doing now and go pro-set (even though most NFL teams are actually running some pro version of the Air Raid these days).

I think a guy like Ta'Amu would make us a much tougher team to play against. But apparently we are never going to play even the guys at qb on our team who can run now (Urich and Joyner). And our new savior, Hilinski (never remember how to spell that) is pretty much a dropback guy too.

Don't think it was a coincidence that our 11 win seasons happened with a qb who would take off in a heartbeat if he thought he saw something.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
You guys do remember that the Pups got their a$$ handed to them last year by almost the same exact score, right? They were supposed to be #1 in the country at the time. We were 24th. They still played for a championship. I'm not saying we are as good as them or even as good as they were last year but we are improving and nothing seems satisfy the fans. Everyone has bumps in the road. Clemsux almost got beat by almighty TROY and lost to PITT (who only won like 5-6 games that year.) when they won (bought) the title. I guess what i'm trying to say is a lot of things have to fall in place to have a championship season, including a lot of luck. If it's that bad for you to pull for a team that you have been pulling for for 40 years then I suggest watching American Ninja Warrior because everyone pulls for everyone, even the competitors, and everyone is a winner!

You guys do remember that the Pups got their a$$ handed to them last year by almost the same exact score, right? They were supposed to be #1 in the country at the time. We were 24th. They still played for a championship. I'm not saying we are as good as them or even as good as they were last year but we are improving and nothing seems satisfy the fans. Everyone has bumps in the road. Clemsux almost got beat by almighty TROY and lost to PITT (who only won like 5-6 games that year.) when they won (bought) the title. I guess what i'm trying to say is a lot of things have to fall in place to have a championship season, including a lot of luck. If it's that bad for you to pull for a team that you have been pulling for for 40 years then I suggest watching American Ninja Warrior because everyone pulls for everyone, even the competitors, and everyone is a winner!
I don't think we beat the pups last year.......

BYE BYE

giphy.gif

A Clemson fan could've said much the same not too long ago. Don't give up.

When the OP said we needed Bill Snyder I stopped reading his post. That said all I need to know.

Do you know anything about Bill Snyder's career, what situation Kansas State was in before he took that job, or just about anything about the guy?

He's pushing 70, or past it, I'd have to look it up. His time is over, and he needs to retire. I wasn't saying we needed to hire him at this point in time.

Best coach of the past half century. If you count Bryant as being from an "older" period, I'd say Bob Devaney is his only rival.

When the OP said we needed Bill Snyder I stopped reading his post. That said all I need to know.
He's a great coach who knows how to get the best out of 3*s. We have been that route twice and don't wanna do again. I think he's 78. May be oldest active coach.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
You said "We needed Bill Snyder and got Muschamp"

No we dont. Much much rather have Muschamp at this stage in both of their careers.

I’ve been a Chicago Bears fan, a Chicago Cubs fan and a Carolina fan since grammar school... more than 50 years. The Bears sucked when I was a kid but I never gave up on them and they finally won a Super Bowl in 1985. The Cubs sucked forever but finally won a World Series after 108 years of futility. I’ll never give up on Carolina because I’M A REAL FAN. You aren’t and never were. Put on some jail house orange and enjoy watching the Tigers today. That’s the community you truly belong to.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Seems to me Muschamp is your best chance to make a great team at SC. Maybe wait until he fails before giving up.
I'm not sure how anyone could be unhappy with him right now. He has exceeded expectations his first 2 seasons. We weren't even supposed to make it to bowl games the last 2 years and we did, including a 9 win season last year with a 2nd place finish in the East. Before Spurrier got here last season would have qualified for a tie for the best season since USC joined the SEC. Spurrier spoiled us with that 5 year stretch of great seasons but we have to put things into perspective as to where the program was at when he left. Muschamp has done wonders so far. I'm not ready to write him off after 1 bad game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT