ADVERTISEMENT

Kornblut is a moron

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
I knew there was a reason I hadn't listened to his show in like 5 years. He says tonight the Carolina fans that are calling for Tanner's head are clueless and are in the minority. Load of crock. He goes on to list all of Tanner's accomplishments including his success on the diamond. What the heck does that have to do with the AD job? He gives Tanner credit for our final four run. Please. He didn't hire Martin. He also says Tanner hired some duds but also had some home runs. Who exactly is a home run hire by him? None that I see. They're all nightmare hires. He also said we were 8-4 against Clemson on Ray's watch. Last I checked Ray became AD in 2012 so that's 2-6 after this year's game. He also said that firing Tanner would hurt the sports program more? As if Tanner hasn't done enough damage already. Phil just doesn't want to lose his press pass to Carolina sports events or he's really that stupid.

Last edited:
Excellent post. Would add that it was aw shucks, simpleton Tanner that suspended Martin for cussing AND totally disrespected the Final Four team when he raised that banner for a crap game that no one attended and no one knew was going to happen. That SOB got a flippin' parade down Main Street!!!!!!

I knew there was a reason I hadn't listened to his show in like 5 years. He says tonight the Carolina fans that are calling for Tanner's head are clueless and are in the minority. Load of crock. He goes on to list all of Tanner's accomplishments including his success on the diamond. What the heck does that have to do with the AD job? He gives Tanner credit for our final four run. Please. He didn't hire Martin. He also says Tanner hired some duds but also had some home runs. Who exactly is a home run hire by him? None that I see. They're all nightmare hires. He also said we were 8-4 against Clemson on Ray's watch. Last I checked Ray became AD in 2012 so that's 2-6 after this year's game. He also said that firing Tanner would hurt the sports program more? As if Tanner hasn't done enough damage already. Phil just doesn't want to lose his press pass to Carolina sports events or he's really that stupid.
Phil has to understand that what happened in the past was paid for when it happened. Coaching and the AD gigs are a what have you done for me lately job in the eyes of the paying customers.

The worst hire Ray made IMO was Holbrook. He personally knew Holbrook very well and couldn’t tell that he was going to be a TERRIBLE HC. Muschamp’s buyout might be his worst decision tho.
Muschamp's buyout is the worst decision, but his original hiring of Muschamp has to be 2nd.

At the time, the Holbrook hire seemed reasonable and would seem like the best way to maintain the continuity of what was then a national power program.

The worst hire Ray made IMO was Holbrook. He personally knew Holbrook very well and couldn’t tell that he was going to be a TERRIBLE HC. Muschamp’s buyout might be his worst decision tho.
I know every body hates him for it but that’s the one thing I can understand. I know Holbrook and his family for a long time there good people and he’s a real good guy and Tanner prob let how good a guy he is maybe cloud up what kind of coach he is.

An AD’s job is more than just hiring coaches. He has helped facilitate improvements around the athletics department, some he spearheaded, others he just continued with an existing plan. They are measured by the overall success of the major athletics programs- 3 consecutive bowl seasons (prior to this year obviously) in FB is pretty strong compared to our long term history TBH. Now, we are all frustrated with the current state of the FB team, but just looking at it through the Perspective of the past three years, ignoring the two year negative trend that had obviously developed.. Not so bad.. MBB- Final Four run, looks to be one of our most talented teams we have had in years this year... Some really good accomplishments... WBB- on perhaps the most dominant run of any sports team in the history of our school short of Tanner’s own baseball team. And Baseball- well... compared to our history baseball has been by far the biggest disappointment of all the major programs under Tanner’s AD stint thus far. We will see what happens with the current staff, I hope he turns things around in a hurry. You can point to some big success in secondary/ non-revenue sports as well... Didn’t Women’s soccer just win the SEC this week?

A lot of their responsibilities are focused on policy and compliance as well. Mediocre from a policy perspective IMO- seems to move slow on making decisions that could boost revenue and fan interest- BEER at the games being the current example... But I like the $25/month Gamecock pass we implemented. I think that is pretty cutting edge and smart to jump on it so early...

From a compliance standpoint I do not think you can say a negative word about him. He is a stand up guy who has a focus on doing things the right way and represents our University in a positive light... We do not find any of our programs in trouble with the NCAA under him in any major way at all and that is something he should get some credit for.

certainly there are frustrations- THE BUY OUT for instance. But beyond WM’s buy out being astonishingly high, I see nothing glaring that tells me he deserves to be fired. Not giving him any credit for what Martin and Dawn have/are doing in basketball just because he did not hire them is kind of... unfair. They work for him, he keeps them here and keeps them happy, provides support and advice when they need it... and we all know every school in the nation that gives a rip about WBB would love to have Dawn Staley!

I personally do not think he will or should be fired but I know how frustrated fans tend to want to fire EVERYONE. I just read a thread on here where people want to go after the board of trustees too... The grass is not always greener and we could do worse than Ray Tanner... Sure, maybe we could do better too.. But with an AD it is generally YEARS down the road before you can tell how well they are even doing. Do we want to take the chance of someone coming in and not getting along with the coaches we DO want to keep? If we continue to see negative momentum in FB next year and he does nothing about it... We will see the pressure grow for sure.

I know every body hates him for it but that’s the one thing I can understand. I know Holbrook and his family for a long time there good people and he’s a real good guy and Tanner prob let how good a guy he is maybe cloud up what kind of coach he is.
Holbrook had helped him win two national championships. He probably figured he could rise to the challenge.

An AD’s job is more than just hiring coaches. He has helped facilitate improvements around the athletics department, some he spearheaded, others he just continued with an existing plan. They are measured by the overall success of the major athletics programs- 3 consecutive bowl seasons (prior to this year obviously) in FB is pretty strong compared to our long term history TBH. Now, we are all frustrated with the current state of the FB team, but just looking at it through the Perspective of the past three years, ignoring the two year negative trend that had obviously developed.. Not so bad.. MBB- Final Four run, looks to be one of our most talented teams we have had in years this year... Some really good accomplishments... WBB- on perhaps the most dominant run of any sports team in the history of our school short of Tanner’s own baseball team. And Baseball- well... compared to our history baseball has been by far the biggest disappointment of all the major programs under Tanner’s AD stint thus far. We will see what happens with the current staff, I hope he turns things around in a hurry. You can point to some big success in secondary/ non-revenue sports as well... Didn’t Women’s soccer just win the SEC this week?

A lot of their responsibilities are focused on policy and compliance as well. Mediocre from a policy perspective IMO- seems to move slow on making decisions that could boost revenue and fan interest- BEER at the games being the current example... But I like the $25/month Gamecock pass we implemented. I think that is pretty cutting edge and smart to jump on it so early...

From a compliance standpoint I do not think you can say a negative word about him. He is a stand up guy who has a focus on doing things the right way and represents our University in a positive light... We do not find any of our programs in trouble with the NCAA under him in any major way at all and that is something he should get some credit for.

certainly there are frustrations- THE BUY OUT for instance. But beyond WM’s buy out being astonishingly high, I see nothing glaring that tells me he deserves to be fired. Not giving him any credit for what Martin and Dawn have/are doing in basketball just because he did not hire them is kind of... unfair. They work for him, he keeps them here and keeps them happy, provides support and advice when they need it... and we all know every school in the nation that gives a rip about WBB would love to have Dawn Staley!

I personally do not think he will or should be fired but I know how frustrated fans tend to want to fire EVERYONE. I just read a thread on here where people want to go after the board of trustees too... The grass is not always greener and we could do worse than Ray Tanner... Sure, maybe we could do better too.. But with an AD it is generally YEARS down the road before you can tell how well they are even doing. Do we want to take the chance of someone coming in and not getting along with the coaches we DO want to keep? If we continue to see negative momentum in FB next year and he does nothing about it... We will see the pressure grow for sure.
So you have no problem with Ray hiring Muschamp's replacement and possibly setting the football program even further back out of existence? He's already screwed up multiple hires. I don't think Ray wants to ever fire anyone-and that's his downfall. He wants to keep everyone happy and never have to make a tough personnel decision. Wants no stress, hang out with fat cats and collect nice checks until retirement.

Last edited:
That silly show is the worst I've heard on a radio station. Cheaply produced, terrible music, and the most unprofessional, opinionated, and boring bunch of talkers. A group of middle school kids would do much better. I was hoping they were off the air.

Lots of ADs have risen and fallen on the strength of the Big Two sports. Very few have risen and fallen on the strength of anything else. Everything else constitutes chicken excrement when one or both of the Big Two are floundering. I know that's a simplistic answer but it is also correct.
There’s a lot of people like that, good people good coaches but they ain’t the best leaders.
It happens. Hasn't he done pretty well at College of Charleston? Maybe he's found his niche.

That silly show is the worst I've heard on a radio station. Cheaply produced, terrible music, and the most unprofessional, opinionated, and boring bunch of talkers. A group of middle school kids would do much better. I was hoping they were off the air.
I mean really!! Those of us out of State don't miss ol' Phil very much. Just sayin' though.

I am actually surprised that Kornblut made any comments about the situation. I thought Kornblut and Coach Tanner were on bad terms as a result of a press conference that Coach Tanner held about Coach Holbrook resignation and Kornblut kept asking Coach Tanner multiple time if Coach Holbrook was fired.

usc will never be nothing in football, we will let clemson beat our asses for years to to come, because we sit around and do nothing, usc need to give up on football, we need new leaders at that school that wants to win.

Give the guy a break... Old age does a lot to the brain cells...

Reactions: sclawman77
Lots of ADs have risen and fallen on the strength of the Big Two sports. Very few have risen and fallen on the strength of anything else. Everything else constitutes chicken excrement when one or both of the Big Two are floundering. I know that's a simplistic answer but it is also correct.

It happens. Hasn't he done pretty well at College of Charleston? Maybe he's found his niche.
Yea hes done pretty good down there from what I hear, I know they beat us a couple years ago. I think he's happy down there,he just cant handle that big boy ball.

I think Ray Tanner is the popular internet scapegoat. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Blaming him for Holbrook's failures is convenient now. Nobody had a problem with it at the time. He has to be the most qualified person to hire a baseball coach. I think Kingston will be good with time. It's too bad the lean years in baseball have affected so many people's enthusiasm for the program.

I do not think Muschamp doing poorly at Florida meant he could never succeed anywhere else. Regardless of what you think of Muschamp, he chose to be coach Carolina in the most difficult time in program history. When he leaves, the cupboard will not be bare like 2015.

And most importantly, the entire department has operated with integrity for as long as I can remember. You have to remember that this not a video game, and hiring and firing does not usually work. I can tell most fans on the internet think nothing about this because any time there is frustration, the names of new coaches that are thrown out there are coaches that would never coach at USC for a number of reasons.

I want to see change, but firing everyone has consequences. You can have high standards and still believe this.

I think we should stick with Muschamp one more season, and if he starts out terribly, everyone will know it's the right time. Tanner will also know he can't mess up the next coaching hire, and I don't really know how that is possible.

I think Ray Tanner is the popular internet scapegoat. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Blaming him for Holbrook's failures is convenient now. Nobody had a problem with it at the time. He has to be the most qualified person to hire a baseball coach. I think Kingston will be good with time. It's too bad the lean years in baseball have affected so many people's enthusiasm for the program.

I do not think Muschamp doing poorly at Florida meant he could never succeed anywhere else. Regardless of what you think of Muschamp, he chose to be coach Carolina in the most difficult time in program history. When he leaves, the cupboard will not be bare like 2015.

And most importantly, the entire department has operated with integrity for as long as I can remember. You have to remember that this not a video game, and hiring and firing does not really work. I can tell most fans on the internet think nothing about this because any time there is frustration, the names of new coaches that are thrown out there are coaches that would never coach at USC for a number of reasons.

I want to see change, but hiring and firing does not always work well. You can have high standards and still believe this.
Canning Ray (forcing him into retirement) is not some new idea that was recently concocted on this board. Many said when Muschamp was hired that if it turned out to be a bust then it would probably cost Ray his job.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Canning Ray (forcing him into retirement) is not some new idea that was recently concocted on this board. Many said when Muschamp was hired that if it turned out to be a bust then it would probably cost Ray his job.
I have no idea what a new AD will do that is that much better. If he leaves, fine. I will just say that he now is a guy with 7 years of experience as an AD in the SEC.

I don't think another AD would have that much more insight when hiring a football coach. I will just say, if he were to be fired, just get it over with because you don't want to be hiring a coach and AD in the same year.

It's also important to remember that coaches are very aware of how leadership at universities treat their coaches. Firing people because fans are upset does paint a welcoming picture for prospective coaches. You don't want ten years of Tennessee football.

Tanner seems to have good relationships with all coaches which is probably a good thing.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Guys like that only have a job because they can spin a topic and get thousands of people arguing with each other in a time slot on the radio.

Carolina fans aren’t idiots. I don’t have to listen to some guy on the radio to know we have terrible leadership at the top level of the university athletic department.

I don’t listen to any of those baited call-in shows.

I have no idea what a new AD will do that is that much better. If he leaves, fine. I will just say that he now is a guy with 7 years of experience as an AD in the SEC.

I don't think another AD would have that much more insight when hiring a football coach. I will just say, if he were to be fired, just get it over with because you don't want to be hiring a coach and AD in the same year.
Connections. That's what we would hope for from a new AD. McGee had 'em. He whiffed on Scott but did better on Holtz and Spurrier. He hired Cremins, and within days after Cremins reneged, he had Fogler in the fold, which at the time was an impressive feat. McGee was resourceful. I get the feeling that now we are in a state of mystified inertia.

Good post that is reasonably stated with a balanced point of view which is rare on this board.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer

And most importantly, the entire department has operated with integrity for as long as I can remember. You have to remember that this not a video game, and hiring and firing does not usually work. I can tell most fans on the internet think nothing about this because any time there is frustration, the names of new coaches that are thrown out there are coaches that would never coach at USC for a number of reasons.

I want to see change, but firing everyone has consequences. You can have high standards and still believe this.

I think we should stick with Muschamp one more season, and if he starts out terribly, everyone will know it's the right time. Tanner will also know he can't mess up the next coaching hire, and I don't really know how that is possible.
Another good post with a balanced point of view. Don't know what the right thing to do is, but starting over does have consequences.

It's also important to remember that coaches are very aware of how leadership at universities treat their coaches. Firing people because fans are upset does paint a welcoming picture for prospective coaches. You don't want ten years of Tennessee football.

Tanner seems to have good relationships with all coaches which is probably a good thing.
Have you watched this football team any in the last 3 years? It's a comedy of errors and mismanagement. Our well-compensated head coach doesn't know what he is doing, and it's become clear he never has. To only be as bad last 10 years at Tennessee is wishful thinking for where we are headed unless try to get off this track going off a cliff.

It was certainly not the most difficult time in our history. Not even remotely. We had one coach drop dead after a scandal, another fired by a corrupt President and another that took over the worst team in the country. Muschamp took over a team with lots of money, excellent facilities, loyal fan support and a blank check to hire a great staff. Only the credulous believed he would succeeded here after trashing Florida. And here we are.

Holbrook had helped him win two national championships. He probably figured he could rise to the challenge.
Any program in the country would have hired Holbrook at that time. It didn't work. A lot like the Brad Scott hire back in the day... looked good at the time. I don't think you can make the same argument with Muschamp. Immediately the national narrative was "why are you hiring this guy?" Looks like they were right.

Though I don't agree with all kornblut said, I do agree 100 percent that the people calling for his head are definitely in the minority.

Though I don't agree with all kornblut said, I do agree 100 percent that the people calling for his head are definitely in the minority.
That is debatable. Every Carolina fan I speak with wants him gone-including club members and a former BOT member. Regardless of if they're in the minority, they have a valid argument.

Ray doesn't have the vision the way previous ad did. I don't think Eric Hyman or Mike Magee would do any of the things Tanner would have done. He's a great guy just not a good ad.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I haven't listened to him in years. But one thing I think he is right about is that the Gamecock fans that want Tanner fired are in the minority. This forum...and others distorts the reality. Forums are for the hard core, live and die by the score on Saturday fans. They are not the "average" fan. I probably hang around with 12-15 Gamecock fans. We gather at our local watering hole and watch the games. Until last year ...when he passed away... one was the father of a former Gamecock/NFL player. None are on this forum. And I know none that want Tanner fired. That is your average fan. That is the majority. We kind of live in our own little world here. We are mad. We think that we are the voice of the Gamecock nation. We are not. We just make the most noise.

Reactions: kidrobinski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT