ADVERTISEMENT

Kornblut is a moron

I haven't listened to him in years. But one thing I think he is right about is that the Gamecock fans that want Tanner fired are in the minority. This forum...and others distorts the reality. Forums are for the hard core, live and die by the score on Saturday fans. They are not the "average" fan. I probably hang around with 12-15 Gamecock fans. We gather at our local watering hole and watch the games. Until last year ...when he passed away... one was the father of a former Gamecock/NFL player. None are on this forum. And I know none that want Tanner fired. That is your average fan. That is the majority. We kind of live in our own little world here. We are mad. We think that we are the voice of the Gamecock nation. We are not. We just make the most noise.
I consider myself a fan not much different than other Carolina fans I know except I post on a board my feelings. I'm passionate about Carolina sports but don't lose sleep over it or go on a bender when we lose. I've been attending football games most of my life (not recently) and had season tickets with my dad from 2001-2010. My father is a '75 grad and has attended games most of his life too.He wants Tanner gone and his old Carolina buddies do too. One is a prominent lawyer in Columbia and another a former BOT member. They do not post on this board.

I haven't listened to him in years. But one thing I think he is right about is that the Gamecock fans that want Tanner fired are in the minority. This forum...and others distorts the reality. Forums are for the hard core, live and die by the score on Saturday fans. They are not the "average" fan. I probably hang around with 12-15 Gamecock fans. We gather at our local watering hole and watch the games. Until last year ...when he passed away... one was the father of a former Gamecock/NFL player. None are on this forum. And I know none that want Tanner fired. That is your average fan. That is the majority. We kind of live in our own little world here. We are mad. We think that we are the voice of the Gamecock nation. We are not. We just make the most noise.
Absolutely right.

Unfortunately the board(s) have become dominated by what you term "the hard core"; the rest of us have to endeavor to tune out the noise and still get what we can out of it. I originally began on boards back when Scott was still coach as a tool for information moreso than "opinion"; of course that slowly evolved into "pay" boards and "other," and I don't do pay boards.

I began attending with my father in the late sixties, became a grad in 76. My "crew" are guys I played football with back in the day, fellow musicians, church people, golf buddies, etc. I stopped listening to Kornblut way back when other avenues became available, but I agree with both him and you. The ones screaming for Tanner's and Muschamp's heads are definitely in the minority for now, and it also seems the more versed one is in the sport the less the level of "fire them and the BOT now". We all get angry and frustrated but we have also seen this movie many many times. We have a good feel for when termination is warranted. Now is not that time.

Hopefully the "noise" hasn't been sitting around recruits at the games.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
I knew there was a reason I hadn't listened to his show in like 5 years. He says tonight the Carolina fans that are calling for Tanner's head are clueless and are in the minority. Load of crock. He goes on to list all of Tanner's accomplishments including his success on the diamond. What the heck does that have to do with the AD job? He gives Tanner credit for our final four run. Please. He didn't hire Martin. He also says Tanner hired some duds but also had some home runs. Who exactly is a home run hire by him? None that I see. They're all nightmare hires. He also said we were 8-4 against Clemson on Ray's watch. Last I checked Ray became AD in 2012 so that's 2-6 after this year's game. He also said that firing Tanner would hurt the sports program more? As if Tanner hasn't done enough damage already. Phil just doesn't want to lose his press pass to Carolina sports events or he's really that stupid.

You are spot on, my friend. This post should be required reading by Korn.

At the time, the Holbrook hire seemed reasonable and would seem like the best way to maintain the continuity of what was then a national power program.
THIS. It was the most logical next step. The fact that CCH would take over for CRT when he left the diamond was well known the moment he arrived on campus. Though not officially titled such, he was the HCIW.

Reactions: Expro19
I have no idea what a new AD will do that is that much better. If he leaves, fine. I will just say that he now is a guy with 7 years of experience as an AD in the SEC.

I don't think another AD would have that much more insight when hiring a football coach. I will just say, if he were to be fired, just get it over with because you don't want to be hiring a coach and AD in the same year.

A new AD would more than likely step in and get his hands dirty while purging some dead wood from our coaching staff.

That's what the boss does. You give Muschamp the keys but you also have to be ready to step in and make the big decisions when things are not working. At this point, RT is missing in action and the coaching staff is one big happy, friendly family.

Though I don't agree with all kornblut said, I do agree 100 percent that the people calling for his head are definitely in the minority.
First, we can only speak anecdotally, so there's no way to know for sure.

But anecdotally, everybody I know wants him gone. The App State loss was the final push for most of my Gamecock friends that were Muschamp dead-enders.

And since BOT members are talking about buying him out openly, the people that count don't have faith in the guy either. His buyout is the only saving his job.

It was certainly not the most difficult time in our history. Not even remotely. We had one coach drop dead after a scandal, another fired by a corrupt President and another that took over the worst team in the country. Muschamp took over a team with lots of money, excellent facilities, loyal fan support and a blank check to hire a great staff. Only the credulous believed he would succeeded here after trashing Florida. And here we are.
Well, having a bad roster, fan expectations higher than ever, and rivals competing for national championships is not an ideal situation to come into.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Well, having a bad roster, fan expectations higher than ever, and rivals competing for national championships is not an ideal situation to come into.
I would feel sorry for him except the fact that he's making exorbitant amounts of money and his buyout insures retirement before the age of 50 (if he chooses). Should insure his kids' retirement too depending on the type of spenders they are.

That is debatable. Every Carolina fan I speak with wants him gone-including club members and a former BOT member. Regardless of if they're in the minority, they have a valid argument.

It isn't debatable, but if you want to believe it is, then go ahead. I do agree with you in the fact that they have a valid argument, just like those who think he should be given more time have also. I have said it numerous times, I don't believe Muschamp is going anywhere this year. He will make some changes and we go forward to next year. After next season, anything goes..

It isn't debatable, but if you want to believe it is, then go ahead. I do agree with you in the fact that they have a valid argument, just like those who think he should be given more time have also. I have said it numerous times, I don't believe Muschamp is going anywhere this year. He will make some changes and we go forward to next year. After next season, anything goes..
Are you talking about Muschamp or Tanner? The thread and my posts have been about Tanner.

Muschamp's buyout is the worst decision, but his original hiring of Muschamp has to be 2nd.

At the time, the Holbrook hire seemed reasonable and would seem like the best way to maintain the continuity of what was then a national power program.
Tanner should be fired over the buyout. But muschamp was his fourth choice. You can't force someone to take the job. Muschamp has done a lot of good and we are better off know than 4 years ago. But he has to be more proactive about our offensive offense and he needs to get better at in game decisions.

Absolutely right.

Unfortunately the board(s) have become dominated by what you term "the hard core"; the rest of us have to endeavor to tune out the noise and still get what we can out of it. I originally began on boards back when Scott was still coach as a tool for information moreso than "opinion"; of course that slowly evolved into "pay" boards and "other," and I don't do pay boards.

I began attending with my father in the late sixties, became a grad in 76. My "crew" are guys I played football with back in the day, fellow musicians, church people, golf buddies, etc. I stopped listening to Kornblut way back when other avenues became available, but I agree with both him and you. The ones screaming for Tanner's and Muschamp's heads are definitely in the minority for now, and it also seems the more versed one is in the sport the less the level of "fire them and the BOT now". We all get angry and frustrated but we have also seen this movie many many times. We have a good feel for when termination is warranted. Now is not that time.

Hopefully the "noise" hasn't been sitting around recruits at the games.
Thank you, we need to give Muschamp time to continue building the players and coaches as needed. A continuous change of HC will not get us to where we want to be.

Thank you, we need to give Muschamp time to continue building the players and coaches as needed. A continuous change of HC will not get us to where we want to be.
Stop with this BS. With the exception of Richard bell, every single one of our head coaches has been given at least 5 to 6 years dating all the way back to the mid 1940s. Also, we haven't even fire a head coach in 21 years. This is pure fiction.

Kornblut no different than the bunch on 107.5, all they do is suck up to Tanner and talk about how great he is.
Don't know if you've been listening lately, but that is not the way it is right now. Jay and Tommy had been openly questioning Muschamp's abilities and the overall direction of the program for the past several weeks. When it comes to Tanner, they are certainly not falling on their swords for him either. The whole station has a completely different feel in recent weeks.

Agree. Let's celebrate 4 win seasons and be grateful Muschamp agreed to be our coach. Most of all, Ray, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT