ADVERTISEMENT

Trade your gas car or truck for electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have property near Red Lodge. Saw the wind chill was -50 today... it's 65 in Mt. Pleasant. The wife would be in Montana today if she could...
Yeah, it ain't much fun here this week. We're in one of those cold snaps we get 2 or 3 times per winter (but haven't seen yet this winter). The high at my house was -8 today and we're under a windchill warning. I told my boss last week that I was going to take off this Friday (tomorrow) to go skiing, but that's not going to happen now. No outdoor activity is fun in that weather. But the Monday holiday is looking good. Highs may be back around 30.

Not believing that chart. Lol In India you can't even breath the air! In Central America the first thing they do (with old Diesels they get from the US) is tear out all the dpf systems and Ren straight Diesel pipes.
I know some "scientific think tank" probably put that chart out but it doesn't pass common sense.
Exactly China and India are the biggest polluters on the planet. But the Democratic climate experts Greta and Gore will try to say we are the bad guys.

I'm teaching myself the art of engine building and the understanding of the combustion engine. I will never switch to electric unless the earth no longer produces petrol.

Reactions: cocks rule
I'm teaching myself the art of engine building and the understanding of the combustion engine. I will never switch to electric unless the earth no longer produces petrol.

Yep. Only a total ass clown would look at an electric car and think “well, shoot, there’s no exhaust. It must be better for the environment!”

Even if the electricity comes from fossil fuels, you still end up with cleaner air for drivers and pedestrians. The power plant can be somewhere out of the way.
But the point of this entire exercise is the somehow cleanse the air globally. Moving the power plans out to the boonies won't do the trick. Plus, I think you missed my point about transmission cost. When I'm running my CR-V, the energy created by the engine is very, very efficiently transmitted to the drive train and the wheels. Not to mention to all of the high-end electronics in the car. On the other hand, generating electricity off-site is inherently inefficient. I read a statistic saying that an average loss of 6% of electricity occurs between power plants and end users.

Reactions: cocks rule
I drink water all day with no ill effects, but it can still kill you if you drink too much.
Lord. I had a case back in the 1980s defending a major chemical company in a product liability case. The herbicide in question had been tested like you wouldn't believe. Many, many dead rats. You learn what an LD-50 is. Look it up. I swear if one more toxicologist told me that water is toxic if drunk in excessive amounts, I was going to hold the guy under the water to demonstrate its toxicity to the respiratory system.

I’d be curious how many people are really buying Tesla’s worrying about the environment. My guess is the majority are doing it for the performance, maintenance and technology.

As long as they can figure out a way to quick full charge ( less than 10 minutes ) I could be on board with the electric stuff.

Reactions: rogue cock
But the point of this entire exercise is the somehow cleanse the air globally. Moving the power plans out to the boonies won't do the trick. Plus, I think you missed my point about transmission cost. When I'm running my CR-V, the energy created by the engine is very, very efficiently transmitted to the drive train and the wheels. Not to mention to all of the high-end electronics in the car. On the other hand, generating electricity off-site is inherently inefficient. I read a statistic saying that an average loss of 6% of electricity occurs between power plants and end users.

My only counter (and I dont feel strongly about it) would be that pollution from one central location, like a plant, might be easier to scrub than from millions of cars.

My only counter (and I dont feel strongly about it) would be that pollution from one central location, like a plant, might be easier to scrub than from millions of cars.
And you're going to have to double and triple the grid performance. Do you think solar and wind can do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT