ADVERTISEMENT

Trade your gas car or truck for electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a goal that does not mean it will happen. That goal use to be around 2025 if you look back a decade or so.
tenor.gif

True but some of those full sized trucks try to drag race. It doesn’t end well. My screen is about 10x larger than phone, plus I still have my phone available.

There are basically 3 repairs: the 9 volt battery ($125), tires (vary) the screen ($1,300) and if the battery ever dies/damaged ($16,000) battery would be steep. It does have a 100,000 mile or 8 year warranty on it. Tesla is currently working on a million mile battery and there are some out there with 500,000 miles on them already.

No air filter, oil changes, or worries about the 700 other parts of an engine that will inevitably break down over time.

To each their own but in time there will be electric trucks as well. Cyber trucks are pretty ugly but I’m pretty certain there’s going to be an electric F150 in the near future.
So the electric components and electric motor and suspension are immortal.

I’ll let you know. Feel free to check in from time to time. Immortal is longer than I plan on sticking around though.

I do think superior is a good word though
Good reply. It reminds me of my days as an Air Force officer working in the GPS program back in the late 1980s. I was briefing a group of foreign officers about the satellite capabilities and mentioned that the onboard atomic clock was so accurate it would only lose a tenth of a second in 10,000 years. An Australian officer asked me who would be around to check. All I could do is chuckle and say “good point.” Typical government warranty: make the time period so far in the future nobody is around to check.

The US is one of the worst polluters per capita when it comes to greenhouse gas emissions. Way worse than anywhere in Central or South America, as far as I know.

15y60k8ida541.png
LOL, drop the "per capita" and show actual numbers per country. China has twice the pollution of the U.S. and climbing. The U. S. has been steadily improving and has actually accelerated that improvement by recent reforestation on a considerable scale. India has 21 of the worst 30 cities.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
LOL, drop the "per capita" and show actual numbers per country. China has twice the pollution of the U.S. and climbing. The U. S. has been steadily improving and has actually accelerated that improvement by recent reforestation on a considerable scale. India has 21 of the worst 30 cities.
Exactly, why would anyone look at that on a per capita basics.

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
The first electric car in the US was built in 1890.
Electric motors are more efficient than combustion engines and their power to weight ratio is much better. Torque is much better. Electric cars have far fewer parts and do not require any environmental systems. You can distribute the weight in an electric much easier to improve handling. Towing capacity is much better.

One of the only issues holding back wide spread adoption is a step change in battery design. Automotive scale Li polymer is probably the next large step change which will eliminate the individual cell battery management system needs to prevent self heating which are costly. Lipo will greatly reduce battery costs. Automotive Batteries are already being reconditioned and Tesla is developing a million mile battery. The sensitivity to cold and heat are real issues. As far as the charging infrastructure, go get the Tesla charging station app and you will be shocked at just how many stations are installed.

As far as the environment, an electric coal base station or even a natural gas peaking station emits far far less emissions than combustion engines with automotive level environmental control systems. Not to mention they can generate and distribute energy much more effectively than a petroleum based liquid energy storage medium.

Electric cars will definitely overtake combustion engines sooner than most think and it will have nothing to do with the environment or government regulations.

The next big surprise for most will be that many people will not own cars in the near future because self driving autonomous vehicles will be the norm. Go check out videos of Tesla’s new full self driving mode beta, truly incredible.

For me, I am looking forward to the day I get a Flyboard Air, and yes it uses kerosene and not a battery.
So you're saying it's taken over 130 years for ev to almost catch up with fossil fuel vehicles?

Reactions: cadcock
This is just so much virtue signaling. Where is the electricity going to come from? And don't start with solar and wind. These are remarkably inefficient technologies and survive only because of government subsidies. Not to mention transmission cost. Nuclear is perhaps the only non-polluting power source that could do the trick. But of course that will have the enviros clutching their pearls faster than you can say "Earth Day."

Yep - anything Green deal whatsoever without nuclear is pure environmental activism. I noticed "war hero" Kerry did not say anything about all of those union jobs that would be created building nuclear power plants (of course with personnel that know what they are doing - i.e. something SCANA failed to put in place and it cost them their jobs and company)

Yep - anything Green deal whatsoever without nuclear is pure environmental activism. I noticed "war hero" Kerry did not say anything about all of those union jobs that would be created building nuclear power plants (of course with personnel that know what they are doing - i.e. something SCANA failed to put in place and it cost them their jobs and company)

Summer was an accident waiting to happen.........called in there, no accountability, just spending money that wasn’t theirs..
Thank god those folks down there are paying for it

Car companies are towing the line of liberal politicians. What happens when gas becomes worthless? Older Internal combustion engines will skyrocket in value until government makes them unlawful to be operated. State and Federal Governments have been subsidizing EVs for almost 20 years and their lifecycle costs have only increased, not decreased. Such costs obviously include disposal costs — which are enormous when the environment is considered.
"Towing the line? I thought you were some kind of genius. Look it up. It refers to stepping up to a line and standing on it with your toes touching it. Just giving you a hard time. You're clearly a very smart guy.

Last edited:
As a Tesla owner I will never go back to a gas car. Just a few reasons:
1. I’ll blow your V8 out of the water at a light
2. I’ll watch it from the rear/side cameras
3. In the first year all I have paid for is Supercharging, which I don’t need 95% of the time I drive. Even when I do it costs me about $5 every 200 miles, but for the most part I just plug in at home.
4. Car maintenance = rotate tires.
5. I can watch sporting events from my vehicle.

Do I really need to continue?
Thats all well and good but most people cant afford a 50-70k dollar car to start. On top of that the recommended battery replacement window is 8 years or 100k miles. So now i have to spend another 10-15k to replace the battery every 100k miles. No thanks. They are amazing cars but the cost of ownership is just too high for the average person. Make the coat of ownership cheaper and maybe i would consider it.
I have a 91 LX 5.0/ 5 speed Mustang with 250k miles that looks as good as it did the day it was new. Only fluid changes and minor maintenance. My 2001 silverado is the same way 175k with only minor maintenance. Make EVs as dependable and affordable as regular cars and they may have a chance to go widespread.

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
Thats all well and good but most people cant afford a 50-70k dollar car to start. On top of that the recommended battery replacement window is 8 years or 100k miles. So now i have to spend another 10-15k to replace the battery every 100k miles. No thanks. They are amazing cars but the cost of ownership is just too high for the average person. Make the coat of ownership cheaper and maybe i would consider it.
I have a 91 LX 5.0/ 5 speed Mustang with 250k miles that looks as good as it did the day it was new. Only fluid changes and minor maintenance. My 2001 silverado is the same way 175k with only minor maintenance. Make EVs as dependable and affordable as regular cars and they may have a chance to go widespread.

Not sure where you got the 50-70k. I paid 35k for mine in March of 2020. Like any car you can pay that much, but there are certainly cheaper options available.

Growing up poor I realize that’s not chump change, but it’s cheap enough for a middle class family to afford.

EV’s do have to get to the point where they are the same cost or cheaper than their gas counterparts to ever be mainstream. Also the network for new EVs will have to be created. Since I have a Tesla I have supercharger options around the country. However the Tesla super chargers will not work with Ford, VW & other EV options.

I had 2 Prius and my wife has a Camry hybrid. One of the problems for the owner is there is no instrumentation to allow you to know how the battery ages (measure the reduced capacity). You could start off with a very efficient hybrid but gradually move to a low-powered internal combustion engine.

Not sure where you got the 50-70k. I paid 35k for mine in March of 2020. Like any car you can pay that much, but there are certainly cheaper options available.

Growing up poor I realize that’s not chump change, but it’s cheap enough for a middle class family to afford.

EV’s do have to get to the point where they are the same cost or cheaper than their gas counterparts to ever be mainstream. Also the network for new EVs will have to be created. Since I have a Tesla I have supercharger options around the country. However the Tesla super chargers will not work with Ford, VW & other EV options.
So you paid 35k for a Telsa?? I hear insurance on those is extremely high due to shop limitation and more expensive parts.

Last edited:
So you paid 35k for a Telsa?? I hear insurance on those is extremely high due to shop limitation and more expensive parts.

The model 3 is the best bang for your buck. I think after taxes it ended up being about 37,000.

Insurance is high and the state rapes you over the coals but it is a great car.

Why is it called a Mustang? Looks more like a Gopher.

The GT version makes 600 ft lbs of torque and that translates into instantaneous white knuckle performance. But it's basically a crossover with room for the family. If you think it looks like a gopher you don't remember the Mustang II. 😊

Reactions: bayrooster
The GT version makes 600 ft lbs of torque and that translates into instantaneous white knuckle performance. But it's basically a crossover with room for the family. If you think it looks like a gopher you don't remember the Mustang II. 😊
Mustang II was a bit before my time but it was god awful ugly.

Future yes, near no. Truck owners will be some of the most reluctant to switch.
As one of those truck owners (and one who actually NEEDS a truck), I agree that we'll be among the last to switch. However . . . given how ridiculously overpriced trucks are, if Tesla or anybody else manages to produce an electric truck that does everything I need it to do _and_ saves me some money, I'll certainly give it a hard look. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, but if it happens at some point, I say bring on the competition.

Reactions: uscalumni
I’ll start believing that global warming is man-made and critical to the worlds future, once the politicians who go on and on talking about it, start acting about it and quit flying around the world in their private jets.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
I know nothing about electric cars but can they put alternators on these cars to recharge the batteries as they are drove or do they already ? Just like cars we have today. Like I said I don’t know jack about these types of cars.

I’ll start believing that global warming is man-made and critical to the worlds future, once the politicians who go on and on talking about it, start acting about it and quit flying around the world in their private jets.
Or having multi million dollar mansions that drain electricity everyday.

Yep nothing better than using that child labor to dig out that cobalt for those electric batteries right?

This is just a goal to keep the climate change people off their back. They have said the same in the past. When the date gets close they will move the goal post and say the technology isnt there yet.
That is not how these changes work. When a corporation announces a major change such as this, the planning stages and meetings have been taking place for some time. When it is determined how long the initiative will take, and that date is then forwarded to upper management is when the public announcement is made.
So for example if the goal for GM is to "PHASE OUT" all gas powered cars in 15 years, the operative phrase is PHASE. So there will be a phase in/phase out period for the next 15 years.

GM said they "aim" to sell only zero-emission vehicles by 2035. "Aim" is the operative word.
Perhaps, and if the year is extended by 1, 2 or even 5, that does not mean GM will abandon the initiative.
It is going to happen, there will be too much investment in equipment, retooling, man hours, and the most important capital for it not too.

Who would have thought Ford would stop making sedans? Their last sedan was the 2020 Ford Fusion. Now it's just trucks, Mustangs and SUV's.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT