ADVERTISEMENT

Trade your gas car or truck for electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much did it cost?

About $4K more than the Audi Q5 that we replaced. To be fair, we bought the Audi new and the Tesla was gently used with 22k miles. To me the best upside is low maintenance. No engine repairs, brakes last 10+ years, expect the battery to last 10 years (not sure yet). Tires every 30k miles or so, I'm good with that. I hate dropping money on car repairs personally.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
About $4K more than the Audi Q5 that we replaced. To be fair, we bought the Audi new and the Tesla was gently used with 22k miles. To me the best upside is low maintenance. No engine repairs, brakes last 10+ years, expect the battery to last 10 years (not sure yet). Tires every 30k miles or so, I'm good with that. I hate dropping money on car repairs personally.
You don't think you ever gonna have problems with the electric components including the motor? I recall that Tesla has already have had multiple recalls. Volt from GM was so popular, it's now extinct.

No

As many have stated:
- Infrastructure needed to charge.
- Still need electricity which is made by fossil fuels or nuclear most of the time.
- Battery disposal will be a nightmare.
- I understand a battery meltdown is very difficult to extinguish.
- Way too long to wait on a charge if you’re away from home.

I don’t think the batteries are “green” at all. I don’t see why we wouldn’t use fossil fuels with a big emphasis on filtering the emissions.
Not sure our govt will consider any of that before cramming this down our throats. In fact recent actions says they probably wont.

Yes I agree. Repairs can add up in a hurry. In fact I hate dropping more than 10k on a vehicle and so far I haven’t. Used Toyota’s for the last 32 years and zero repairs to date!

Reactions: importcock
Not auto related but wondering how long before the masses can kick the power company’s to the curb? That should help with green house gas some. I see more and more panels going up.Out towards Pelion they have a big ole field of them.
I’ll be going electric in a year. Waiting for 1 govt update tax credit 2 giga Texas 3 cash for ev clunker program.

Not really a “car guy” so I’d be fine with whatever is out there. I have a hybrid now by default - I like it and I like filling up every two months.

That said, I get that people into cars might not like the change. It would be similar to someone trying to replace my scotch with some clear, tasteless liquor and expecting me to like it because “it does the same thing.”

Reactions: GMClemson33
Not really a “car guy” so I’d be fine with whatever is out there. I have a hybrid now by default - I like it and I like filling up every two months.

That said, I get that people into cars might not like the change. It would be similar to someone trying to replace my scotch with some clear, tasteless liquor and expecting me to like it because “it does the same thing.”
If MiO came out with Scotch and Bourbon flavors it could work. Just kidding, nothing could imitate a fine, cask-aged Scotch.

. . . and the clear, tasteless liquor came in a smaller bottle and costs more than your scotch (for now).

I've got nothing against electric cars and I am certainly in favor of the environment. But I will buy an electric car (or truck) when I decide it is a net benefit to ME to do so. Give me a 400+ mile range, an infrastructure along the highways that allows me to recharge or exchange batteries in 15 minutes or less, AWD, and reasonable performance/cargo, at roughly the same or better lifetime costs than my gas car, and I will be all over it. For my truck, I want those same things plus the ability to tow a camper through Yellowstone and over Teton pass. I'm sure technology will eventually meet those demands for me. When it does, I'll give electrics a serious look.

I'd also like to see what technology will do for the combustion engines. It's amazing what kind of fuel mileage we get out of combustion engines now. Let both technologies do their thing and let the market decide which one they like the best - without the government's finger on the scale.

They will have to figure out a way to "quick" charge the batteries, especially along the interstate. No one wants to stand at a charging station for an hour. Heck, I get annoyed when it takes more than 4 minutes to fill up with gas....

Costly but a system could be used that swaps out the batteries.

if that’s the case we shouldn’t build anything but hydrogen powered cars, trucks, planes and trains.

Air is about 80% nitrogen so NxO compounds are formed when you burn hydrogen with air. Ok if you combine H and O but burning with air is not pollution free. Better than hydrocarbons but not perfect.

2035 or 2050 may be enough time to build it out, but as has been observed by previous posters, charging must be faster, time for driving increased, and most importantly, convenient charging stations available. The infrastructure will need to be in place before there is widespread acceptance.
If we're talking about predicting what the infrastructure will look like in 2050, all bets are off. It reminds me of the C&O Canal. It took about 22 years to build the 184 mile canal in the mid 1800s and by the time it was finished, railroads had come on-line and made it obsolete. Will "the morning commute" even still be a thing in 2050?

Not auto related but wondering how long before the masses can kick the power company’s to the curb? That should help with green house gas some. I see more and more panels going up.Out towards Pelion they have a big ole field of them.
That’s not likely to happen for a very long time.

I think you mean hot weather? I've never heard of batteries degrading faster in cold weather. Maybe they discharge faster?
I'm not an automotive engineer and I'll admit that I don't know anything about the batteries that run EVs, but our Montana weather is extremely harsh on vehicle batteries. You'd better bring your camper and boat batteries inside for the winter or you will likely have to replace them in the spring. When temps drop to 20 or 30 below zero, it's not uncommon for batteries to freeze, especially if the battery is older and/or not fully charged. And, yes, they do also discharge faster.

I’d love a Tesla is the range could match our car. With our so we never make a stop for gas, bathroom, food on a road trip that doesn’t take 30 minutes. If we could get from here to Orlando on a single stop I’d be at the dealership tomorrow.

I'm not an automotive engineer and I'll admit that I don't know anything about the batteries that run EVs, but our Montana weather is extremely harsh on vehicle batteries. You'd better bring your camper and boat batteries inside for the winter or you will likely have to replace them in the spring. When temps drop to 20 or 30 below zero, it's not uncommon for batteries to freeze, especially if the battery is older and/or not fully charged. And, yes, they do also discharge faster.
I can tell you this about standard 12 volt automotive batteries. At 32*F they only have 65% of their normal power available. At 0*F it drops to 45%. At -20*F it drops to 20% of the normal power. So yeah, cold weather is bad for batteries.

Reactions: cadcock
I can tell you this about standard 12 volt automotive batteries. At 32*F they only have 65% of their normal power available. At 0*F it drops to 45%. At -20*F it drops to 20% of the normal power. So yeah, cold weather is bad for batteries.
Indeed cold temperatures are bad for batteries, as are hot temperatures. I work in the power generation field and we use dc power for controls and instrumentation . With VRLA batteries, the ideal operating temperature range is 68-77 degrees. That being said, I have no idea what type batteries electric powered cars use. I don’t intend to buy one, either. I have two gas powered vehicles, a gas powered John Deere Gator, a diesel powered John Deere tractor, as well as gas a powered Hustler lawnmower , Echo chainsaw, Troybilt weed eater, etc. Battery powered equipment could never replace those. It sounds great in theory, but is not practical, nor affordable.

As a Tesla owner I will never go back to a gas car. Just a few reasons:
1. I’ll blow your V8 out of the water at a light
2. I’ll watch it from the rear/side cameras
3. In the first year all I have paid for is Supercharging, which I don’t need 95% of the time I drive. Even when I do it costs me about $5 every 200 miles, but for the most part I just plug in at home.
4. Car maintenance = rotate tires.
5. I can watch sporting events from my vehicle.

Do I really need to continue?

I was thinking of the lithium Ion or nickel metal hydride battery packs that drive the electric motors -- they have no liquid in them.

The new Tesla that will be coming out in the next few months will go zero to 60 in under 2 seconds. I have gone to a battery powered chain saw. But it will not buy a battery car until they get much cheaper.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
As a Tesla owner I will never go back to a gas car. Just a few reasons:
1. I’ll blow your V8 out of the water at a light
2. I’ll watch it from the rear/side cameras
3. In the first year all I have paid for is Supercharging, which I don’t need 95% of the time I drive. Even when I do it costs me about $5 every 200 miles, but for the most part I just plug in at home.
4. Car maintenance = rotate tires.
5. I can watch sporting events from my vehicle.

Do I really need to continue?
I respect your view, but I drive a full-sized truck, and don’t typically drag race other vehicles at red lights. My wife’s Maxima has cameras all over it. I can watch sporting events from my phone, no matter where I am. We all rotate and replace tires due to normal wear. Lemme know what the cost is to work on and repair the Tesla when it needs to be repaired. We all know it’s going to happen eventually. Everything breaks at some point.

Reactions: Cybercock
Sorry but electric cars are on the way. Maybe sooner than people realize. Green energy is also coming.

USCALUMNI
Define what you deem as green energy? It isn’t a new concept. Hydroelectric generation has been around for decades. Wind and solar are popular now, but they have their shortcomings.

Define what you deem as green energy? It isn’t a new concept. Hydroelectric generation has been around for decades. Wind and solar are popular now, but they have their shortcomings.

Solar and windpower. I believe energy storage is key to making them more relieble. Reading this thread there seems to be a bunch of hate on the technology and I am not sure why.

USCALUMNI

Only will take ten minutes to charge after an eight hour wait in line at the charging station.

Solar and windpower. I believe energy storage is key to making them more relieble. Reading this thread there seems to be a bunch of hate on the technology and I am not sure why.

USCALUMNI
Storage is the key to making them more viable options. I’m not hating on technology. I was merely trying to have conversation. Thank you for your reply.

Storage is the key to making them more viable options. I’m not hating on technology. I was merely trying to have conversation. Thank you for your reply.

I did not call any particular person out. There are several people in this thread that want to poo-poo on the idea of green energy, electric vehicles and solar and I do not understand that thinking. Thank you for your reply

USCALUMNI

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT