ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Marcus?

Looked at his twitter. Yea, seems like he has bought into the ideas of universalism. Truth is truth. There is no such thing as "your truth" and "my truth." It is either truth or it is not truth. Truth does not change, nor are there multiple versions of it. He posts a lot of Eckhart Tolle quotes, the modern day father of universalism, so that tells you where he is getting that from. Lattimore tweeted "Live your truth! And ignore the opinions of people who aren’t living their truth."
"Uninterested in statuses and societies unrealistic expectations. Free of judgement, only acceptance for all. A profound realization of the one thing connects us all." Sorry Marcus. There are some things and some people who should not be accepted and that should be judged.
you can quote me on this. (catholic btw)
truth is what you perceive, having been given information from another man. -be cocky

Cool... pull things out of context and you can make a case for just about anything. In this chapter, Jesus is talking about what people will think of him and what he was doing - which was trying to shine a light on the dominance structure of the Jewish Church (and to a lesser extent, the Roman Empire) which cast people out as un-chosen ones. If you look at his life as a whole, he wanted people to think about their connection to God and their connection to others within the context of their connection to God - because the Jewish church at the time was focused on ritual and material rather than spiritual.

Read through the gospels. Jesus was VERY divisive. The gospel message is, by nature, divisive. This is why Christ told His followers they could count on being persecuted.

Read through the gospels. Jesus was VERY divisive. The gospel message is, by nature, divisive. This is why Christ told His followers they could count on being persecuted.
I don't disagree with you about that.

Within the context about ML, my suggestion is that modern "Evangelical" Christianity is divisive in a way that Jesus (if you read in the historical context and not just pull statements out of context) was not. Jesus acted against the power structure of his church and his local government, choosing to side with the cast-outs instead of the powerful. Modern evangelism draws distinctions that Jesus clearly did not make with respect to a whole host of social, political and interpersonal issues.

In that context, perhaps ML is trying to assess his position in his faith - perhaps finding a deeper truth about Christianity than what he was brought up to believe as true.

Reactions: GeoCocky
This thread is hilarious. All these Christians assuming and judging someone faith, because they don't agree with all his tweets.

I'm a Christian but I haven't judged what he said, other than noting that it was gibberish. Everything he posted is clearly based on stuff he's picked up from other sources. I suppose it seems shocking to some b/c he's very outspoken in his past about his Christian faith and the statements he posted are incompatible with a Christian world view. As a Christian, it's good and right to be concerned when a fellow believer appears to be departing from the faith.

As far as what's going on with Marcus, I've got no idea. I won't try to form an opinion based on a few disorganized tweets. My gut says Marcus isn't even sure about the meaning of what all he posted.

Reactions: Brace1
I don't disagree with you about that.

Within the context about ML, my suggestion is that modern "Evangelical" Christianity is divisive in a way that Jesus (if you read in the historical context and not just pull statements out of context) was not. Jesus acted against the power structure of his church and his local government, choosing to side with the cast-outs instead of the powerful. Modern evangelism draws distinctions that Jesus clearly did not make with respect to a whole host of social, political and interpersonal issues.

In that context, perhaps ML is trying to assess his position in his faith - perhaps finding a deeper truth about Christianity than what he was brought up to believe as true.

See my previous post above (# 45)...I would not even begin to try guessing what's going through Marcus' head. Twitter affords people the opportunity to put stuff out for public consumption before they've fully digested their own thoughts. People tend to think out loud on Twitter.

Regarding what you would call modern evangelical Christianity...without fully knowing what this means to you...I can certainly acknowledge that certain breeds of folks who would call themselves Christians can be unnecessarily divisive. But then, I come back to the Scripture: you will know them by their fruits. The gospel message is divisive, but Christians are not called to be contentious. On the contrary, in the beatitudes, Christ said His followers would be peacemakers. As a Christian, I tend not to get too worked up when I see folks who claim to be Christian out stirring up trouble, b/c to me I don't really believe they are Christians.

Reactions: HI Cock
Yes, the Temple Hierarchy (better term than "Jewish Church") of the time was missing the mark. Nothing wrong with the Temple offerings/rituals, but if they're not accompanied by the right mindset (being charitable, humble, looking after widows/orphans, etc.) everyone was wasting their time.

I don't do a good job with Biblical quotes, but Lamentations is full of G-d rejecting the Temple offerings due to the wrong mindset of those in charge.

Regardless of one's faith system, one cannot definitively prove that their's is the correct way and everyone else is wrong. Until the messiah comes or returns (again, based on your faith system), everything is just that - faith. Messianic belief itself is faith as well.

Those who push the "my way only" do religion as a whole a lot of damage in this country. To be certain, there are a lot of good, faith-based families who just want to live their faith without forcing it upon others. The pushers make it worse for everyone.

Separation of church and state means that there is no state (state-sponsored) religion. However, IMO, government should be supportive of religion in general - all religions (i.e., all who operate in good faith, aren't pushers, and aren't violent) not one or several to the exclusion of others. Government and religions should be partners, not adversaries. Any religious group who wises to put on a public display for their holiday, that's great! If an atheist wants to put out something, great!

I hope that the end result of ML's European sojurn is that he becomes an even better, more well-rounded person who can effect a lot of good in this world, e.g., help those in need.

Wow, there is so much religious arrogance in this thread, it's unbelievable. People are more educated than in the past and that's why they're open to new ideas and opinions. This, "my way is the only way" drives people away.
It's interesting the way we throw around the word education. Education does not exist in a vacuum. There is no great social or humanizing education. (Humanizing the spirit has not prevented much cruelty for all us gamecocks, mottos aside). The information disseminated in the name of education is variable, often filled with speculation and culturally and politically derived from viewpoints adopted by the most powerful and well placed in society.

Unfortunately, what most of us would believe is science is now challenged in many circles and vice versa. There is little consistency in what constitutes a proper education other than accepted communications and relational skills.There is also little wonder that all these "arrogant" religious people hang onto Christian beliefs that although interdenominationally challenged, remain remarkably consistent over time and test.

Arrogance has not, and will never exist in the heart of God, only in godless men, be they Christian or not. Post Christian America is just a rallying cry for the ministerial Dabo's rallying the troops, or the gleefully secular dancing on the grave of the church. We think we are soooo smart.

We're not. We're loud, remarkably smug and amazingly confident in our considerable inaccuracies. As we are, we cannot approach God; we need an intermediary. That is why these "arrogant" christians will thrive in Post Christian America, whatever the "education."[/QUOTE]

This is why I hate Social Media sometimes. It's a way for people you don't even know to be "All up in your business" even when you don't intend for them to do so. It's nice that Marcus has so many fans. However, there are some things that people need to go through alone and not have their issues discussed in some other forum with rampant speculation and the subject not being there to defend himself. I'm a Gen X'er and people are just too open with their business these days for me.

I figure Marcus is probably doing a little searching right now. While we all feel for Marcus with what happened to him athletically, it also had to have an effect on Marcus. And being involved with USC probably makes it worse. One knows that he meets people every day that remind him of what was, and what could have been. He was a star with a long pro career in the offing. Then in one moment it was gone. Am sure he appreciates being a USC treasure, but has to be a bit depressing to constantly be reminded of how quickly life can turn. Might be a nice alternative to go somewhere that nobody knows who he is. Maybe he just wants to be Marcus and see how that works out.
He pretty much said this in a post on his instagram back in Dec. Needs some space to just be himself without the pressure of everyone else's idea of what he is or what he needs to be.

I’ve known Marcus Lattimore for a long time he graduated with my son. Him, Nick Jones and Bobby Bentley’s kids all played ball together and hung out at each other’s houses. So I got to know all of them pretty good, and one thing we all knew was that Marcus was special. He was a great kid with a bright football future, and he had it all planned out. First he only thought he was good enough to play at Newberry or Presbyterian but we knew better than that, “but Marcus was humble, and when he got to High School it all exploded! Everything pointed to him being a sure thing, a can’t miss prospect” the kind of player, who could win the Heisman Trophy one day. Then his freshman year at USC he lived up to the hype and everyone saw he was NFL ready. To make a long story short we all know what happened and his NFL career didn’t pan out. Marcus is still disturbed about it, He’s a young man who probably could’ve been the best running back in the league. Getting away from the pressure of being in a country where NFL football is king will probably give him a better perspective on life. At least I hope.
There’s much more to life than foozball. He’s young. Travel, explore, learn, experience, appreciate. Marcus is a great PERSON. Good luck on your next adventure.

Man, there sure are a lot of words about a guy who has a great opportunity to go do what he wants in the world. I just read the tweets that set this whole thing off and where people are getting that it shows that he's a man in crisis I have no idea. If anything it sounds like he's on a great path to have a fuller life than those who would question him.

Reactions: GandBinNC
Funny- someone said in this thread they had a hard time worrying about someone they didn't even know. I am totally the opposite. Especially when it came to Marcus. When he came back from the first knee injury, I worried and was anxious every time he touched the ball. Every time! I could not sit when I was watching him play. I knew he was so special when we (he) won the SEC East and I desperate wanted all these things to come to him. I was devastated when he got hurt again. I couldn't sleep well and followed his rehab (again) closely. I probably went through all the stages of trauma LOL. When he was drafted by the Niners, I was thrilled! But when he had to retire, I was again heartbroken. I grieved over never seeing him play again. I worry about all our guys when they get hurt and am always anxious for them because the game is so violent, but I never worried about another player so intensely before or since. Maybe we all (or me specifically) had a dream running in conjunction with Marcus's dreams, and that dream was also lost. We all lost. I feel that a lot when it comes to Marcus.

We gained a lot as well. It was great to see such a wonderful kid represent our state and university.

Now I don't worry about him anymore. I'm sure it is difficult to have it all end like it did but he seems to be a very smart guy and he has worlds of opportunity at his fingertips. And he is still so young! I hope he has a great experience and gets away from "Marcus Lattimore- South Carolina Legend" and can just be Marcus.

He will always have my support, thought, and prayers. He'll land on his feet.

Wow, there is so much religious arrogance in this thread, it's unbelievable. People are more educated than in the past and that's why they're open to new ideas and opinions. This, "my way is the only way" drives people away.
Look, I never attacked ML. I simply pointed out some inconsistencies in what he was posting with the faith he says that he believes and follows. Call it what you wish. Jesus' main message all through the gospels was that He was/is the Son of God and that there was only one way, and that was through trusting in Him and Him alone. It is a free country and you can choose to believe whatever you wish or believe in nothing at all but lets not pretend that "my way is the only way" is not the central theme of the Gospels, Christianity and Jesus Himself.

Reactions: king ward
you can quote me on this. (catholic btw)
truth is what you perceive, having been given information from another man. -be cocky
So lets say that I have been given information and have been taught and I perceive based on info given from my buddy on the corner that I can jump from the 27th floor of a building and my truth tells me that I will be just fine, as I can fly. So which one is going to win? My truth or the truth of the law of gravity?

Reactions: GarnetBlood80
I’ve known Marcus Lattimore for a long time he graduated with my son. Him, Nick Jones and Bobby Bentley’s kids all played ball together and hung out at each other’s houses. So I got to know all of them pretty good, and one thing we all knew was that Marcus was special. He was a great kid with a bright football future, and he had it all planned out. First he only thought he was good enough to play at Newberry or Presbyterian but we knew better than that, “but Marcus was humble, and when he got to High School it all exploded! Everything pointed to him being a sure thing, a can’t miss prospect” the kind of player, who could win the Heisman Trophy one day. Then his freshman year at USC he lived up to the hype and everyone saw he was NFL ready. To make a long story short we all know what happened and his NFL career didn’t pan out. Marcus is still disturbed about it, He’s a young man who probably could’ve been the best running back in the league. Getting away from the pressure of being in a country where NFL football is king will probably give him a better perspective on life. At least I hope.
Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Brace1

Thanks for sharing that. I think this whole thread is an indication of why he would want to go overseas and find space for himself.

Oh, shut up already. Marcus and Connor are both outstanding individuals. They are far more qualified to counsel and be around football players than you could ever dream of being.

Your wisdom (or lack thereof) is on clear display every day. Go on back to Tigernet with all that B.S.. Thanks

Just shootin' straight man.

"Shaw will run the Beyond Football program at South Carolina, which focuses on career development, mental health, financial literacy and life skills."

https://247sports.com/college/south...amecocks-connor-shaw-plans-new-job-142290931/

In my personal opinion, you need a true professional to oversee a program that encompasses such broad categories, particularly something as serious as mental health. Neither Marcus nor Connor have any qualifications to be dealing with mental health issues.

Now, it may be entirely possible that Lattimore and Shaw are more or less figureheads.

My HS friend also traveled abroad to study and teach Korean kids how to speak English. A lot of similarities.

Yep. I imagine Marcus is confronted by fans every day trying to talk to him about his injury and what he could have been in the NFL. That would be exhausting for anyone. I can’t blame him for wanting to get away.

I’d never approach a USC athlete and try to talk to them in public. But I also know way too many people see it as their duty to engage people like him in conversation when all they want to do is go about their business.

here he is out with his wife somewhere with things on his mind of a personal nature that maybe his wife and him are concerned about and here comes some joker that they don’t know interrupting them wanting to talk about the Florida game from 10 years ago. He likely deals with that garbage all the time being in Columbia.

Thanks for sharing that. I think this whole thread is an indication of why he would want to go overseas and find space for himself.

The job he's leaving "director of player development and life skills" seems vague.

Can't think of any measurable goals which would be a source of frustration for many folks.

"Shaw will run the Beyond Football program at South Carolina, which focuses on career development, mental health, financial literacy and life skills."

https://247sports.com/college/south...amecocks-connor-shaw-plans-new-job-142290931/

In my personal opinion, you need a true professional to oversee a program that encompasses such broad categories, particularly something as serious as mental health. Neither Marcus nor Connor have any qualifications to be dealing with mental health issues.

Now, it may be entirely possible that Lattimore and Shaw are more or less figureheads.
They probably have a substantial support staff. The idea is that the players may be more inclined to listen to someone who has been there than a PhD candidate.

Yep. I imagine Marcus is confronted by fans every day trying to talk to him about his injury and what he could have been in the NFL. That would be exhausting for anyone. I can’t blame him for wanting to get away.

I’d never approach a USC athlete and try to talk to them in public. But I also know way too many people see it as their duty to engage people like him in conversation when all they want to do is go about their business.

here he is out with his wife somewhere with things on his mind of a personal nature that maybe his wife and him are concerned about and here comes some joker that they don’t know interrupting them wanting to talk about the Florida game from 10 years ago. He likely deals with that garbage all the time being in Columbia.

25+ years ago, I was out with a friend on a tour of the CNN studios. We're waiting in the adjacent food court for our tour time when Hank Aaron comes walking by at the other end of the court. My friend got so excited that he jumped up and ran over to shake Hank's hand. I stayed seated. From my vantage point, Hank looked mildly annoyed, but put up with it as he probably had been doing for the past few decades.

Personally, I would probably engage someone like this briefly, and only if we happened to be next to each other, e.g., in line, and only to thank them for being who they are and to wish them well.

There’s nothing wrong with being non-Christian. To say otherwise is to crap on our Constitution.
You kind of lost me there. The Constitution certainly doesn't say there's anything wrong with an individual thinking that it's wrong to be a non-Christian. In fact, if the government declared that I can't legally conclude that non-Christians are wrong, it would itself violate the Constitution. The First Amendment is a constraint on governmental action. Now, the government can't fire somebody for not being a Christian. That's a First Amendment no-no.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I feel certain they are not dealing with these issues by themselves. They are the first line for athletes. It’s their job to listen first and then guide them to the right resources- which the athletic department and school have plenty of

They probably have a substantial support staff. The idea is that the players may be more inclined to listen to someone who has been there than a PhD candidate.

I'm sure you are right. But that fact that he's the head of the whole shebang is odd.

I fully understand the rationale of having a Gamecock legend around, but that's the kind of thing I think you'd want a professional overseeing.

Reactions: atl-cock
I'm sure you are right. But that fact that he's the head of the whole shebang is odd.

I fully understand the rationale of having a Gamecock legend around, but that's the kind of thing I think you'd want a professional overseeing.
Like, RT, I'm sure that Marcus, and now Connor, have lots of support staff.

You kind of lost me there. The Constitution certainly doesn't say there's anything wrong with an individual thinking that it's wrong to be a non-Christian. In fact, if the government declared that I can't legally conclude that non-Christians are wrong, it would itself violate the Constitution. The First Amendment is a constraint on governmental action. Now, the government can't fire somebody for not being a Christian. That's a First Amendment no-no.

In 1790, President George Washington visited the Touro Synagogue in Newport, RI and spoke to those assembled regarding religious freedom:

http://www.thenewportbuzz.com/george-washingtons-touro-synagogue-letter/95

"It is now no more that toleration is spoken of as if it were the indulgence of one class of people that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights, for, happily, the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support."

I don't follow his twitter page or the details of his personal life but maybe I'm missing something. I don't think think he took the job at Carolina for the money-he has plenty. Maybe he wants to try a new career. Why the assumption that he's lost his faith because he's leaving the football program?
God himself said there is something wrong with it. Any belief other than Christianity is wrong. I’ll side with God over US constitution.

I guess I worded that poorly. What I meant to say is that people of all faiths are protected by our constitution, so deciding to judge someone based on a perceived change in faith that in no way affects others seems kind of dumb.

Reactions: atl-cock

Most likely that.

Hope he's not dealing with depression. Going abroad to study psychology seems strange.
As someone who has been thru the totally unexpected, unguessable HELL, let me simply state that you have no idea in regards to what Marcus has been through. Again, as someone who has been through the unimaginable, just let him be. Let the young man walk his path - Lord knows its his anyway.

WADR,

G

Reactions: atl-cock and Brace1
Thank You for posting that!!

Gaim

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT