ADVERTISEMENT

OT: GOT (Spoilers)

Nymeria was last seen leading the pack after finding Arya in the woods in Season 7. We don't know her fate yet.
But where is Ghost??????? I'm about to be pissed if he's gone.
It seems Ghost spends all his time off screen these days. Maybe at the end of episode six we will find out he killed half of Kings Landing and installed himself on the iron throne.

Well... That certainly didn't go according to my plans. I loved Arya's badass moment, but the ending felt rushed. I didn't think both mormonts would die, but at least she had a good end. The battle scenes felt realistic but too confusing, and I think the decision to raise dead Starks in the crypt was sort of lame.
On a positive note, both jorah and theon had great deaths and redemptions. And poor Edd. I wish there had been a way to bring this hilarious book character to the TV screen.

I tend to agree . Even though it was a great episode . Knowing George I highly doubt this is the way it will go down in the books . I will be SHOCKED if it does . Don’t see how Arya fits into the Azor Ahai prophecy , basically none of it adds up . Still think it was a cool tid bit that the dagger that ended the long night was LittleFingers dagger that was meant to kill Bran . Still a lot of questions . What’s up with Ghost ?? Did he survive the first charge?? Feel like killing him off screen will tick off a lot of people . Also , did Rhaegel survive ?? Looked like he got torn up pretty bad in the fight with the ice dragon . Didn’t see him again after he crashed . I did love that Beric, Jorah and Theon went out Boromir style . My only concern is I feel it was too early in the season to wrap up the White Walker storyline . Not sure where they can go from here . Don’t think Cersi , Euron and the Golden Company will be perceived as a bigger villain than the Night King . I’m looking forward to finding out .

I tend to agree . Even though it was a great episode . Knowing George I highly doubt this is the way it will go down in the books . I will be SHOCKED if it does . Don’t see how Arya fits into the Azor Ahai prophecy , basically none of it adds up . Still think it was a cool tid bit that the dagger that ended the long night was LittleFingers dagger that was meant to kill Bran . Still a lot of questions . What’s up with Ghost ?? Did he survive the first charge?? Feel like killing him off screen will tick off a lot of people . Also , did Rhaegel survive ?? Looked like he got torn up pretty bad in the fight with the ice dragon . Didn’t see him again after he crashed . I did love that Beric, Jorah and Theon went out Boromir style . My only concern is I feel it was too early in the season to wrap up the White Walker storyline . Not sure where they can go from here . Don’t think Cersi , Euron and the Golden Company will be perceived as a bigger villain than the Night King . I’m looking forward to finding out .

In the preview for next week there is a snippet of a scence showing 2 dragons flying together. As for Arya and the prophecy of azor ahai, I can only surmise that not every prophecy is fulfilled. Loved the moment she told Sansa to 'stick them with the pointy end.' Also I thought it cool when the red lady said Arya would put many eyes to rest. Brown, green, blue. And the 'not today, death' line was good. Overall slightly disappointed in the battle scenes of this episode. I agree with you, I dont think George wrote this storyline

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
This is one of my main complaints. For 7 seasons, the White Walkers were built up. In the end, one dagger ends the threat...but with 3 episodes to go. I would have liked to see the living survive, but retreat, and defeat the dead in the 5th episode. That would leave the final to deal with Cersei and wrap up any loose storylines.

I am surprised that the Night King was actually killed last night. We've spent 7 1/2 seasons building up the NK as this unrivaled force, and Arya out of no where kills him. No explanation of who the NK is. His back story. Why he is after Bran. And I get Arya is a bad ass ninja, but she just walked through an army of wights and all the White Walkers unseen. In the moment it was awesome but in retrospect it feels lacking.
They also underplayed the dead Starks rising in the crypts.
Overall it was a great spectral of TV. I really hope that next episode will provide some explanation of some of the plot holes

In the preview for next week there is a snippet of a scence showing 2 dragons flying together. As for Arya and the prophecy of azor ahai, I can only surmise that not every prophecy is fulfilled. Loved the moment she told Sansa to 'stick them with the pointy end.' Also I thought it cool when the red lady said Arya would put many eyes to rest. Brown, green, blue. And the 'not today, death' line was good. Overall slightly disappointed in the battle scenes of this episode. I agree with you, I dont think George wrote this storyline
The battle may have been realistic (well, as realistic as a battle with magical ice men and reanimated corpses can be) but it was too crowded and confusing to watch. I kept wondering "Who was that? Is he dead?" Maybe some of that was by design.
And you are correct. The plot left GRRM's path about 4 seasons ago. He needs to get back to writing and publish something other than companion books. (I think he has published about 10 different works since his last ASOIAF novel.
Don't get me wrong: I loved A World of Ice and Fire. Fire and Blood was pretty dry, but I did enjoy it. But, was the world really screaming for 750 pages describing the reign of the first 7 Targaryen kings?
I still have to think Martin has completed Winds of Winter...and most of A Dream of Spring...and by either his choice or an agreement with HBO is holding off publishing until the series ends.

Last edited:
You can tell all the stuff through the last book was well-thought out and planned for many years. Since they've run out of source material, and are presumably working off a rough outline, the genius of the show has really been lost.

Last night's battle plan made no sense, from either side. Calvary charge into darkness to start a battle. An entire Army outside the Keep. All those characters who were swarmed should have been killed many times over. Hiding people in the crypts when the dead are rising. Dragon lands on the ground allowing himself to be consumed by the dead. And there is no explanation why the Night King exposes himself to danger; walking alone through the battle field and then moving as slow as possible to kill his main target. And the other white walkers do nothing for the entire battle. Felt like something they planned and thought about for 6 months, rather than 6 years.

And if you want to blow off all the back story, legend, prophecy, or what have you about the long night and the white walkers, that's fine. But it's sort of a jokes on the viewer situation. They spent years leading to this moment building up the threat, and the Night King is easily killed, in his first major on screen battle, by a 90 pound woman. His motivations were only to kill, and apparently he's terrible at it.

Loved this episode but 2 minor complaints.
During the aerial battle scenes between the dragons it was difficult to tell who was who.

Maybe someone on here can explain this scene to me, since I'm unclear of it's purpose:
All hell is breaking loose and Bran decides to check out and the ravens take off. Where exactly were they going and for what purpose ? Was it just to check out the action ?

Last edited:
Yeah I’m kinda on the fence . The underlying theme the entire series is that the Iron Throne means nothing compared to war for the dawn . Hell its the name of the series , Ice and Fire . I feel like the plot would be better if they dealt with Cersi and Euron in Episode 3 and the final 3 were focused on the NK . Unless there is an INSANE twist coming in the next three episodes I feel that anything else will be anticlimactic. Feels kinda like having another book and storyline after Frodo and Sam destroy the ring . Love the show but I feel that the way this episode and plot line went down Is not the way George would have written it , Will be interesting

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Not what I was expecting and can't say I loved it. Like others have said, you hype this thing up for 8 seasons and the NK goes down with a simple stab to the heart (in same place as dragon glass, yeah yeah yeah). Was really expecting some twist or some complex, gut wrenching solution to beating him.

Hoping for some heat down the stretch, but I have not loved it thus far.

You can see what looks like a white animal at the gates of Winterfell when they are walking out with torches, but you can't tell if it's really Ghost. Honestly the body doesn't look like a wolf body.

Speaking of Avengers, maybe GOT should have borrowed the Thanus theory to kill the Night King:

GRRM: "...and at the very end, Arya will take a potion she stole from the Faceless Men that shrinks her to the size of an ant. And she'll crawl up the Night King's butthole."
HBO Exec: "Um, can't she just stab him with her dagger?"
GRRM: "No, this is a much more dramatic battle. She has to sneak into his sphincter. Then, once the audience think she will freeze to death in his icy A-hole, she takes another potion."
HBO Exec: "And that potion will warm her up?"
GRRM: "It will make her instantly grow to the size of Sandor Clegane. The Night King will burst open. It will be like The Mountain vs The Viper all over again."
HBO Exec: "Okay, but did you really need to write in Arya expanding and exploding the Night King's penis?"
GRRM: "It is foretold..."

Loved this episode but 2 minor complaints.
During the aerial battle scenes between the dragons it was difficult to tell who was who.

Maybe someone on here can explain this scene to me, since I'm unclear of it's purpose:
All hell is breaking loose and Bran decides to check out and the ravens take off. Where exactly were they going and for what purpose ? Was it just to check out the action ?
I don’t think the story of the ravens is over. Think about how many times we see a bran vision only to learn about it later.

I am surprised that the Night King was actually killed last night. We've spent 7 1/2 seasons building up the NK as this unrivaled force, and Arya out of no where kills him. No explanation of who the NK is. His back story. Why he is after Bran. And I get Arya is a bad ass ninja, but she just walked through an army of wights and all the White Walkers unseen. In the moment it was awesome but in retrospect it feels lacking.
They also underplayed the dead Starks rising in the crypts.
Overall it was a great spectral of TV. I really hope that next episode will provide some explanation of some of the plot holes
I think we'll have to wait for the books to come out before we get any major explanations. I loved Arya's big moment. Everyone was expecting it to be Jon to save the day as always. Lady Mormont went down fighting with as much heart as anyone that's been on the show. I think of all the deaths last night the one that touched me the most was Theon. He fully redeemed himself and went out protecting a member of the family he truly wished to be a part of.

Reactions: 3rdFloorDouglas1996
No matter what GOT has given us a sports cliche forever . When the entire team is fighting their hearts out against insurmountable odds and 1 player is giving little to no effort ... he’s clearly Braning . I mean c’mon bro . I thought all the deaths were awesome . Jorah went out like a boss the only way you knew he would ... saving Dany AGAIN (I think that’s time # 4). Beric went saving Arya , Ed Saving Sam and Theon redeeming himself . When Theon elected to guard Bran I saw this coming from a mile away . It’s very reminiscent of when Euron called him out and he jumped Ship literally . In hindsight if Theon doesn’t jump ship Euron kills him in about half a millisecond and he’s not there to protect Bran which probably bought Arya just enough time to get there . “Everything you did brought you here” . He didn’t jump ship this time . Great way to go out for all all these guys and girl .

I think we'll have to wait for the books to come out before we get any major explanations.

I think you are right. The show has been dumbed-down (not in a bad way) for the masses that may not care too much for the fantasy elements and just want to see epic battles, political back-stabbing, and of course T&A.

Or as useless as a Dothraki calvary charge

Yeah Jon’s a terrible commander . Let’s send a blind cavalry charge into darkness . Let’s send a Direwolf with literally no means of killing Wights or White Walkers when Maybe .... you could have put him in the Crypts to protect your weakest people . Also let’s make sure Bran is protected by your smallest force in the most Indefensible area . Not to mention getting totally out maneuvered by Ramsey at the BOB and needing your kid sister and Littlefinger to Save you . Love Jon but maybe he should just Fight and let Jaime or Greyworm command the Army .

Yeah Jon’s a terrible commander . Let’s send a blind cavalry charge into darkness . Let’s send a Direwolf with literally no means of killing Wights or White Walkers when Maybe .... you could have put him in the Crypts to protect your weakest people . Also let’s make sure Bran is protected by your smallest force in the most Indefensible area . Not to mention getting totally out maneuvered by Ramsey at the BOB and needing your kid sister and Littlefinger to Save you . Love Jon but maybe he should just Fight and let Jaime or Greyworm command the Army .
You make some excellent points here.

You make some excellent points here.
I agree that Jon hasn't been a great battle commander. I think his bad decisions were made dramatic purposes. Against Ramsey, Jon's rash decision enabled the Knights of the Vale to sweep in for the save. Against the Army of the Dead, the destruction of the Dothraki, who were previously unbeatable in the open field, raised the stakes of the coming battle.
More importantly, assuming the Dany/Jon coalition defeats Cersei and the Golden Army, Westeros won't have a huge khallasar roaming and raiding its lands.

I agree that Jon hasn't been a great battle commander. I think his bad decisions were made dramatic purposes. Against Ramsey, Jon's rash decision enabled the Knights of the Vale to sweep in for the save. Against the Army of the Dead, the destruction of the Dothraki, who were previously unbeatable in the open field, raised the stakes of the coming battle.
More importantly, assuming the Dany/Jon coalition defeats Cersei and the Golden Army, Westeros won't have a huge khallasar roaming and raiding its lands.

In other words, instead of having the characters do things that make sense, act true to their development/arc, and further the plot, the writers opted to have the characters do things that create the most drama, while furthering/cleaning up the plot, irrespective of whether those actions made sense or were true to the character development/arc.

Reactions: Jon Snow
In other words, instead of having the characters do things that make sense, act true to their development/arc, and further the plot, the writers opted to have the characters do things that create the most drama, while furthering/cleaning up the plot, irrespective of whether those actions made sense or were true to the character development/arc.
One of the many characters to do this since the show moved past the plot and development of the book series.

I think the show runners have done a pretty good job other than Dorne which was complete and utter disaster unfortunately. As big a creeper as Euron is , I’m glad he singlehanded curb stomped all the Sand Snakes . Other than Dorne , I really can’t complain . However , I’m very concerned about how the next three will play out with the NK gone . As long as the end game is pretty true to George’s vision then I think all will be well . If they try to go Michael Bay Transformer on the last three episodes it will be heartbreaking .

I think the show runners have done a pretty good job other than Dorne which was complete and utter disaster unfortunately.
I’ve never read the books, and though I’ve watched all of the episodes, I’ve only recently gotten really into it. Do you mind elaborating?

I’ve never read the books, and though I’ve watched all of the episodes, I’ve only recently gotten really into it. Do you mind elaborating?

Ok remember in the show when Jaime and Bronn go to Dorne . Never happened in the books . Prince Doran (the guy in the wheelchair that Ellaria Sand killed in the show) is the brother of The Red Viper . He puts on the front of being a weak , passive ruler much like in the show . However in the books he has this crazy elaborate plan with his brother and the Sand Snakes to overthrow the Lannister’s . He is actually forming an alliance with Dany to ally with her when she comes back . He’s an amazingly complex and cool character . Very much like Tywin was in the show . He hates the Lannister’s as much as his brother but uses his disability to kind of make others underestimate him . The whole part in the show where Ellaria and the Sand Snakes kill him and take over Dorne was a total plot line made by the show runners . Also another thing that ticks me off is Aero Hotah ( Doran’s big bodyguard with the axe that punched Bronn) would have killed all the Sand Snakes in seconds . He is regarded in the Books as the greatest living fighter in Westeros other than Barristan Selmy . The Dornish plot was almost a half of one of the books and they just skipped over it on the show . Other than Oberyn , who was absolutely perfect in the show , everything else regarding Dorne was just bad . Also in the books Ellaria and the Sand Snakes would have never Murdered Cersi’s daughter . She was basically treated like a sister by the Sand Snakes and Ellaria . Again , It would be IMPOSSIBLE to follow the books completely . They would need 20 seasons to do it . Overall I think they have done an awesome job considering George will probably never finish the novels at this rate .

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
Some things are small and unimportant, such as The Hound and Brienne of Tarth never fought. Arya did leave him for dead when he was injured, though.
Some are confusing. A huge story line in the books is (f)Aegon Targaryen. The maybe-he-is/maybe-he-isn't son of Rhaegar, who according to Varys, was NOT murdered by The Mountain during the Sack of Kings Landing, but was secretly swapped with another baby and safely hidden away until now. This character in the books is currently conquering some lands and castles in the Stormlands.
BobbyB is right about the Dorne story. Everything except Oberyn feels wrong.

Reactions: funktavious
Some things are small and unimportant, such as The Hound and Brienne of Tarth never fought. Arya did leave him for dead when he was injured, though.
Some are confusing. A huge story line in the books is (f)Aegon Targaryen. The maybe-he-is/maybe-he-isn't son of Rhaegar, who according to Varys, was NOT murdered by The Mountain during the Sack of Kings Landing, but was secretly swapped with another baby and safely hidden away until now. This character in the books is currently conquering some lands and castles in the Stormlands.
BobbyB is right about the Dorne story. Everything except Oberyn feels wrong.
Also, doesn't Aegon land on Storm's End with Jon Connington and the Golden Company? How exactly are they supposed to fight for him and Cersai. I have a feeling that the tv series has completely gone a different direction than what the books were. I just hope that Martin finishes writing them so I can one day get a chance to read them. With the tv series finishing up, I have a bad feeling that he may never finish the books. If someone else decides to finish the books after his death, will they even follow his vision?

Also, doesn't Aegon land on Storm's End with Jon Connington and the Golden Company? How exactly are they supposed to fight for him and Cersai. I have a feeling that the tv series has completely gone a different direction than what the books were. I just hope that Martin finishes writing them so I can one day get a chance to read them. With the tv series finishing up, I have a bad feeling that he may never finish the books. If someone else decides to finish the books after his death, will they even follow his vision?

Yeah that’s my concern as well . He’s not in great health and it’s taken him ten years and he still hasn’t finished Winds of Winter. There’s no way he finishes up at this rate . Honestly i think that he has so many crazy plot lines going on in the books that he has no idea how to tie them all up . It would also not surprise me if he goes in a totally different direction as the show . Martin always said that his least favorite part of LOTR was bringing Gandalf back from the dead . What if he leaves Jon dead in the books ??! How crazy would that be ? Would not surprise me at all

Yes, the Golden Company is fighting for (f)Aegon to try to conquer Westeros. The show completely avoided that story line, probably at GRRM's prompting. They have enough plot lines to try to flesh out.

As far as Martin finishing the final books: I would imagine there will be huge differences between the final two books and the final 3.5 seasons.

Yes, the Golden Company is fighting for (f)Aegon to try to conquer Westeros. The show completely avoided that story line, probably at GRRM's prompting. They have enough plot lines to try to flesh out.

As far as Martin finishing the final books: I would imagine there will be huge differences between the final two books and the final 3.5 seasons.

There has been some speculation that the books are close to being finished, or are actually finished, and they are waiting until after the TV series is complete to be released. Perhaps unlikely, but I can see HBO working out some arrangement where the books are held back until the show is over-- especially if the books end up concluding the story in a way that's much different than what HBO ends up doing.

There are a lot of good GOT theories out there, and plenty of them are "Who is Azor Ahai/The Last Hero/The Prince(ss) Who Was Promised." This Bran theory is pretty well thought out and makes sense, but I hope that isn't where GRRM goes with the books (assuming he ever finishes.)

Some of my favorites: Jaime, Dany, Jon, The Nights Watch (actually, that theory is that Jon is AA and The Nights Watch is LightBringer), Tyrion, Stannis, and Arya.

I think the prophecy (in the books) won't be fulfilled exactly the way we expect. I'm hoping to see AA as a combination of people: Jaime, Dany, Jon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT