ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner

gamecox4982

Nov 16, 2004
Tanner's legacy as AD will be predicated on who he hires once Spurrier leave? Who do you think is on his short list.

Tanner's legacy as AD will be predicated on who he hires once Spurrier leave? Who do you think is on his short list.
I doubt he even has a short list. Probably hasn't even seriously thought about it. This program is in big trouble lmo.
You can't rest on your laurels until you have the stable to win the races.

Reactions: jerryusc
I would won't be surprised if he has a deal where Jr takes over. If I were him I would just fake in illness so I didn't have to deal with this mess. I wonder if he regrets taking over this position as athletic director? He had a good life, he could have stayed at USC with a no show job. I feel bad for the guy because he is between a rock and a hard place.

Right now it's Spurrier, and then Jr.

He's in over his head. He has no intention replacing Spurrier then probably will get talked into promoting Jr...

Right now it's Spurrier, and then Jr.

He's in over his head. He has no intention replacing Spurrier then probably will get talked into promoting Jr...
Just what exactly has he done or not done that makes you think he is in over his head?

I doubt he even has a short list. Probably hasn't even seriously thought about it. This program is in big trouble lmo.
Yeah Ray hasn't even thought about it since he was always such a slacker when running the baseball program.

Don't forget Holbrook. Tanner's been desperately trying to defend Chad-his one and only hire-but if the decline of the baseball program continues he knows he has to act.

Just what exactly has he done or not done that makes you think he is in over his head?

Well how far in the ground does the baseball and football programs need to dig until something happens? lol best baseball program in the country, and consistent top 10 in football, 2 years later the drop off is severe.

Someone needs to get fired before whatever brand we established is wiped clear,

Reactions: 67gamecock
Don't forget Holbrook. Tanner's been desperately trying to defend Chad-his one and only hire-but if the decline of the baseball program continues he knows he has to act.

Wasn't Holbrook the ABCA Assistant of the Year a few years back? If Ray didn't hire him, another top-level program would have for sure.

Wasn't Holbrook the ABCA Assistant of the Year a few years back? If Ray didn't hire him, another top-level program would have for sure.

I don't care what he did as an assistant-which is what he is better suited for. As a manager he has underperformed. In case you haven't noticed, we lost a home regional in 2014 and didn't make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 15 years this past spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecock ed
They can have him. I don't care what he did as an assistant-which is what he is better suited for. As a manager he has underperformed. In case you haven't noticed, we lost a home regional in 2014 and didn't make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 15 years this past spring.
Bingo... Give him another extension.

In an Interview last year Tanner said that he keeps a short list just in case. Jr. Would not be a serious candidate in the first place. He's going to have to go to a smaller school before he can coach at an SEC school. I saw this week that some people were talking about Chip Kelly, I don't know if there is anything to it though

In an Interview last year Tanner said that he keeps a short list just in case. Jr. Would not be a serious candidate in the first place. He's going to have to go to a smaller school before he can coach at an SEC school. I saw this week that some people were talking about Chip Kelly, I don't know if there is anything to it though
Agree with you on Jr. First I have heard of Chip Kelly's name being thrown around.

All good AD's have a short list, with maybe a few exceptions. You never know what could happen tomorrow or next week, especially when your HC is 70 yrs old. Understand I am not implying I want something bad to happen to SOS.

Well how far in the ground does the baseball and football programs need to dig until something happens? lol best baseball program in the country, and consistent top 10 in football, 2 years later the drop off is severe.

Someone needs to get fired before whatever brand we established is wiped clear,
How can you possibly be stupid enough to not understand that the guys you want to fire BUILT THIS BRAND?

How many NCs did our baseball program win before Tanner brought in Holbrook? NONE.

Who built our football team into a WINNER? Who gave us our first eleven win season(S, as in THREE IN A ROW)? Who has won more bowl games in his team years than we had won in the previous HUNDRED prior to his arrival? Who beat clemzun FIVE years in a row? Who won the SEC East?... You want me to go on? Spurrier took our football program from having an all time LOSING RECORD and built it into a program that hasn't had a losing season in a DECADE, and after a season where we had a winning record, won a bowl game, beat UGA and UF... You want our AD to FIRE THE MAN? Because we had a couple tough losses early this year?

Again, I just don't get how you people don't see how insanely STUPID you sound... Especially posting all this lunacy after we just won a game 31-14! WTF is wrong with you people?

After last week, I don't expect our fans to be riding very high right now, but this is just beyond uncalled for... It is pretty clear some of you are NOT really this stupid and are just taking an opp to flame our program, coaches and AD.

How can you possibly be stupid enough to not understand that the guys you want to fire BUILT THIS BRAND?

How many NCs did our baseball program win before Tanner brought in Holbrook? NONE.

Who built our football team into a WINNER? Who gave us our first eleven win season(S, as in THREE IN A ROW)? Who has won more bowl games in his team years than we had won in the previous HUNDRED prior to his arrival? Who beat clemzun FIVE years in a row? Who won the SEC East?... You want me to go on? Spurrier took our football program from having an all time LOSING RECORD and built it into a program that hasn't had a losing season in a DECADE, and after a season where we had a winning record, won a bowl game, beat UGA and UF... You want our AD to FIRE THE MAN? Because we had a couple tough losses early this year?

Again, I just don't get how you people don't see how insanely STUPID you sound... Especially posting all this lunacy after we just won a game 31-14! WTF is wrong with you people?

After last week, I don't expect our fans to be riding very high right now, but this is just beyond uncalled for... It is pretty clear some of you are NOT really this stupid and are just taking an opp to flame our program, coaches and AD.

Who cares? Do you not see what is going on with the sports programs? We beat a UCF team who just lost to Furman and FIU. I don't really give a crap about how we beat Clemson 5 years in a row, because if our coaches don't start recruiting better then that 5 years in a row will be long gone! It's about continued success and not going back to where we were being happy with 6 win seasons. I mean maybe you are happy with 6 win seasons, but many Gamecock fans don't want to see that again.

I swear Gamecock fans love talking crap to Clemsux fans about the past, but it looks to me some of our fans are just like them.. What does our past success under Spurrier have to do with today?

They may have built it, but unless someone does something we are on a runaway train to destroy it.

Not seeing that right now is what is stupid.

and after a season where we had a winning record, won a bowl game, beat UGA and UF... You want our AD to FIRE THE MAN? Because we had a couple tough losses early this year?

You mean last year where we lost 3 games giving up 2+ td leads in the 4th quarter?

Lost to clempson with a 1 legged qb who beat us by throwing the ball 2 feet in front of him.

Last season when we lost half our recruiting class because of a stupid comment about how long coach would stay.

Last season when no defensive coaches were fired for atrocious performance.

How bout this season... Its worse... lol. Same staff... Same problems. Trains closer to the cliff.

Enjoy the ride.

Spurrier is staying as long as he wants, just like Diddy Bowden should've been allowed to. Just think, if Bowden had been allowed to stay forever, he would've had another MNC in 2013, and been one of the "first four" in the new playoffs. Good days are ahead my friends.

Last edited:
It's human nature. It's much easier going to that job, getting that sure paycheck than it is to do what you really want to do because it has a much higher failure possibility.

This is an old tune and it gets tiresome. Spurrier's here through 2017 AT LEAST.
What Walter Cronkite used to say.

And you know that how?

Because I've read the headline below about as many time as you and those like you have brought it up.

"Steve Spurrier addresses his haters, says he’s not going anywhere"
,,, July 22, 2015

Question for you - do you think Coach Spurrier is a liar?

Because I've read the headline below about as many time as you and those like you have brought it up.

,,, July 22, 2015

If this season continues to go south, he will not hang around. And we would be better off for it. He's not going to change. He's stubborn as they come. We need some fresh blood. Mediocre football won't cut it!

If this season continues to go south, he will not hang around. And we would be better off for it. He's not going to change. He's stubborn as they come. We need some fresh blood. Mediocre football won't cut it!

You didn't answer the question.

As far as "mediocre football won't cut it" the ONLY person who has EVER kept us from being 'mediocre' is Steve Spurrier. Our previous 'hero' Joe Morrison had 1 good season and a couple of years winning 8 ... he also had two 5-win seasons and one 3-win season. Lou won 8 and 9 but also had two 5-7 and a 6-5 to go with the 0-11. Carlen had two 8-win seasons and the rest was total junk. NOBODY'S COME CLOSE TO SPURRIER.

HIS WORST WAS AS GOOD AS THEIR BEST!
THOSE other coaches (Carlen,Morrison, Holtz) are the BEST we've EVER HAD before Spurrier and his WORST SEASONS at 'Carolina resulted in more wins than ANY of those other three averaged.

And by the way, that 'sorry' Kentucky team that beat us also beat Missouri yesterday.

Have you watched us play football this year? I'll hang up and listen...

Reactions: IBleedUSC

,,, July 22, 2015

Yes, because he also said he was calling the plays this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT